5.6

"What's wrong, honey?" Carl whispered into rylee's ear while they sat quietly at her cousin's wedding.

"Nothing." She muttered. She had been in a bad mood for a couple of days, and Carl had been trying his best to make her feel better, but she wouldn't talk about what was wrong.

Carl just sighed in response, wrapping an arm around her and rubbing his arm, recognizing that now was probably not the best time to have a chat. Once the ceremony was finished, the two of them stood up and Carl immediately turned to her.

"Are you okay?" He asked, knowing that he would get no answer if he asked what was wrong again.

"I'm okay." she whispered.

"I'm worried." He admitted quietly, grabbing both of her hands in his.

"I'm okay." she repeated, smiling lightly up at him.

"I love you." He kissed her forehead.

She smiled and leaned her head into his chest while they waited for more people to clear out before they could leave.

"Do you want to go to the reception, or do you wanna split?" carl asked, offering rylee a way out if she didn't want to be here any longer.

"We can go." She shrugged, not wanting to skip out on her cousins wedding.

"I'll just drink lots of champagne." She lightly laughed.

__________________

"Are you feeling better?"

"I'm feeling drunk." Rylee giggled, moving her hands from his neck to around his waist, hugging him instead of dancing with him.

"So that's a yes?" he chuckled lightly at her.

"I wanna sit down." She mumbled, her face still buried in his chest.

Carl didn't say anything, just guided her back to their table with an arm wrapped an arm around her shoulders, noticing light goosebumps along her skin.

"You cold, sweetheart?" He asked, not waiting for an answer before taking his tux jacket from the back of his chair and putting it on her.

"Thanks." She grinned up at him with bloodshot eyes, and lightly stumbled over, but he had a grip on her to keep her from falling.

"How did you get this drunk?" He laughed at her as he sat her in her chair, then sat next to her.

"You're so far away from me." Rylee whined when she couldn't reach his arm.

Carl smiled lightly and scooted his chair closer to her, and she immediately clung to his arm, resting her head on his shoulder.

They just sat like that for a while, Carl rubbing her arm, scrolling through his phone with his free hand. He thought rylee was looking along with him, but when he looked down, he saw her eyes closed and her lips slightly parted.

He laughed, shaking her lightly, "ry, wake up, baby."

She groaned and lifted her head up quickly, then blinking hard a few times and shaking her head, "oh, shit." she giggled, "got the spins."

Carl laughed at her again as he stood up from his chair. He grabbed rylee's hand to help her up, but she didn't get up, so he turned her chair to the side so that he could snake one arm under her knees and another supporting her back before lifting her up, grabbing her purse before heading toward the exit, past all of the people dancing. He scanned the room for Shannon as he felt Rylee's hands grab the fabric of his button up shirt, and burying her face in his chest.