Essay

When Life Gives You Lemons-Lemonade Review Essay

"I've had my ups and downs but I always find the strength to pull myself up. I was served lemons, but I made Lemonade." Lemonade is such a important work of art for Black women because it provides them with an alternative, Afrocentric version of Black womanhood. Black feminists like Audre Lorde also used Oshun and other components Yoruba religion to help create a new self-identity. Lemonade embodies and incorporates Oshun and provides black women an understanding of womanhood not made by whiteness. Alternative representations of Black women pushes back against monolithic depictions of us like the angry black woman, welfare queen, etc. Lemonade situates itself into a legacy of Black feminist artistic works is very crucial because it's about women's self-definition. Lemonade demonstrates real women blackness through each song & visual and defines self-identification and black womanhood.

Pray You Catch Me- Intuition

Intuition is a quick and ready insight. Sometimes people in a relationship and they can sense instability? They can feel it deep down, but their partner ignores it, and does it intentionally. The song starts off like she's trying to control her breathing. There's hurt, weariness, pain, and suffering in her voice. The layered vocal harmonies toward the end of the track, to me , symbolize the various selves, personas, and emotions a person can experiences in a tumultuous relationship. In the visual, Beyoncé is evoking the African god Elegba, the god of the crossroads. She's contemplating, does she stay or does she go? In the video. Beyoncé kneels in front of a curtain (serves as a pathway to another place) and later jumps off the building, signifying a release. Elegba also is portrayed as either a young child or an old man. Both appear before chaos (little boy with bat) and peace (apathy interlude).

Hold Up-Denial

Denial is the refusal to admit the truth or reality of something (such as a statement or charge). There's bite and coldness in this song, and also a winking knowledge. The repetition in the refrain is indicative of denial. She's holding this deep rage at bay that later comes out in Don't Hurt Yourself. The bouncy instrumental and bright colors juxtaposed against the dark lyrics and actions encompasses "denial". Most people know that Beyoncé is evoking Oshun in this visual (Oshún rules over the sweet waters of the world, the brooks, streams and rivers, embodying love, fertility.), but the homage to Pipilotti Rist is also interesting. Pipilotti Rist's "Ever is Over All" depicts a woman smashing cars while a policeman smiles on. Anarchy in harmony with happiness.

Don't Hurt Yourself (feat. Jack White)- Anger

Anger is a strong feeling of displeasure and usually of antagonism. The rage in her vocal performance here is as if she's finally breaking free from emotional and mental torture. It's raw and it's real. This visual is only shows black women. Beyoncé is going back to her girls to vent and exhale once she comes to terms with her lover's actions. Which is what most women do once they have gone through a breakup or have taken a break in a serious relationship. Don't Hurt Yourself visual references "Daughters of the Dust" a breakthrough film by a black director on former West African female slaves. This song is preceded by a Malcolm X speech which bolsters and praises self love for Black women. It's not a coincidence that he's been referenced twice that I know of. (The 2016 Superbowl and the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards)

Sorry- Apathy