Truffle Butter Part 2

Start from the beginning

Robyn surveyed the room. Nicki's team and some other people she hadn't recognized sat around, including some nigga who was there too. He didn't look like he fit in, so Robyn just assumed he was the help. And though the air conditioning was blasting in the room, she could do with a drink.

She snapped her fingers twice, calling attention to Meek. "A Coke, no ice. Make sure it's cold."

He looked at her in confusion.

"Huh?" He asked.

Robyn realized she had made a mistake.

"My bad, I forget sometimes." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a twenty dollar bill, tipping Meek.

For him, it seemed the humiliation would never end. Luckily, Nicki came to his rescue. She appeared at Robyn's shoulder and saved what was left of Meek's tiny pieces of dignity.

"No baby, Meek is my tour partner. He's not the help." Nicki clarified.

Robyn looked back and forth at Nicki and Meek, "whoops. Ya can keep da twenty though." She shrugged.

Meek clutched the bill in his sweaty palms. He felt too foolish to reply, but did so anyway.
"I'm M-" he attempted to sound out the rest of his name, but it got caught in his throat. He tried to pass off the vocal error as a cough, but it sounded too phony for Nick or Robyn to believe. Meek was just too awkward for human interaction. He felt the familiar feeling of indignity again and trudged off.

"Who da fuck was dat weird ass nigga?" Robyn said lowly into Nicki's ear, but not lowly enough. Nicki attempted to cover her mouth to shut out some of the laughter that poured from her, but she was unsuccessful. Robyn's comment threw her into a fit of giggles.

Meek had heard the remark. He swallowed the bitter taste in his mouth left from seeing Robyn and Nicki together. Shame crawled up his spine and embarrassment made his cheeks hot. He just could never win. He felt his heart shatter into a million pieces. He wanted to cry. But he couldn't.

****

After choreography practice was over, they migrated to the studio bus. It was time for Robyn to finally showcase the little surprise she brought with her. Robyn had sent the music file with Chris singing on it to Onika's producer a few moments before entering the studio bus with Nicki hand in hand.

When Nicki lead Robyn into the studio by the hand, on the other side of the glass that separated the booth and the listening room, Robyn and Nicki's producer, who happened to be DJ Khaled today, winked at her.

"Hey, Robyn!" He engulfed her in a hug. He had just flown into Texas and arrived on the bus after Robyn pulled some strings. She knew that if he helped produce the track, it would be the best that it could be. She wanted the track to exceed Nicki's expectations.

When Robyn had came to Khaled with the track just a few days before catching a flight to surprise Nicki on her tour bus, she was at his mansion in Los Angeles. He had listened to the chorus and verses and told him about her plans, to which he responded with: "Robyn, you so smart. You so loyal! You a genius." Whatever that meant. She was just happy he was agreeing to work on the track and fly out, even if only for a day.

Now, Khaled had already mixed and cut the track. He had taken Chris' vocals, as well as Nicki and Meek's verses, and put them together. Nicki had no idea about Chris being on the track, and she didn't know what the beat would sound like either. As far as she knew, they were still struggling with the production of the song.