Lollipops - Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

With a newfound pace, the boys burst from their spots and towards the opposite hall, one behind the other. Passing the torches and statues, coming from the paintings was cussing and words of annoyance towards James for waking them up from their sleeps by the bright light that came from his wand, so that they could see.

The same could not be said for Naomi and Peter though.

Naomi couldn't run. Not wouldn't. Couldn't.

But Peter could've. And in a split second—with some hesitation shown along the way—the mousy boy grabbed the newly surprised girl's hand in a sudden act of kindness, directing her towards the opposite way so that she would not be falsely blamed on their account.

The screams and demands coming from Filch followed the five down the halls, but halfway through, the caretaker lost sight of the teenagers, and it was unnecessary for them to worry any longer. Not only that, but halfway there, Naomi gave up (running, of course.) She stopped and suddenly leaned against the wall with her hands on her knees, exhaustion and weakness clear as day on her face.

"Guys," she wheezed, more tired than she should've been. The boys slowed down, very tired, but not quite as much as she was. With their attention caught, Naomi proceeded her sentence with a pale and sickly face, and long in length hair matted against her skin. "You have to go on without me."

James Potter hurried her quickly, "C'mon, the Gryffindor common room isn't far from here,"

"No, seriously, I can't go any further! Besides, I'm a Ravenclaw, there's no point in me going with you if I'm just going to take another route. Sorry to disappoint." Naomi admitted honestly.

The boys were reluctant to let her go. At last, James apprehensively spoke up, "If you say so,"

They turned their backs on her, though this action only lasted for a moment, for a cocky and obnoxious Sirius turned around, leading to his mates copying his actions, "By the way, blondie, you owe us."

"For what?" The girl questioned with raised eyebrows, ignoring the new nickname she was given.

"We helped you, and we don't do that to just anybody. In fact, if you were anybody else, we would've left you to face Filch's wrath,"

"You didn't help me. Only Peter did. Thank you, by the way." She thanked the smallest of the boys, getting sidetracked.

"Oh, Naomi," Sirius chuckled, slightly shaking his head disappointedly as if reprimanding a troublesome toddler. "Naomi, Naomi, Naomi. Haven't you realized that us Marauders are not four people, but one? Since Peter did you a favour, you must do one for us as well, not only him. Do you see where I'm going with this?" He negotiated.

"Would you hush, Sirius?" Remus rolled his eyes at the nonsense that his friend was talking.

The girl chuckled, a lightness in her blue eyes. She was rather amused by what Sirius said. She said, "I understand,"

"Good." Sirius grinned, "I trust that we haven't seen the last of each other."

"As do I," she kindly agreed. "Have a nice night,"

The boys bid their farewell, leaving off with two strutting in front, and two having a quiet conversation about something lagging behind them. (It wasn't very hard to guess who was doing what.) Naomi watched them leave with a smile on her face, but it was quick to disappear as soon as they were out of sight.

Once she was sure they were gone, Naomi finally did what she had to do. Reaching into her pocket, she revealed a small vial, filled with a bright blue potion.

After sizing the liquid up, Naomi plugged her nose before chugging the bottle empty, a trick she had learned to not taste something while eating or drinking it.

She exhaled once done, a newfound feeling of refreshment and exhilaration. Naomi knew that she had to get back to Madam Pomfrey in the morning to get a refill. She knew that when she did however, she would be getting a scold. Naomi wasn't supposed to do active activities—they weren't good for her; for her lungs. It only made her more weak; weaker than she already was.

But, why did Naomi need that potion in the first place? Why was she so tired when she was running? Why couldn't she participate in active activities?

Well maybe it had to do with the fact that Naomi was cursed with a disease called cancer.

Maybe—just maybe, it had to do with the fact that Naomi had a due date for her death.

—––—–—

DUN DUN DUN!

You read it right, Naomi has cancer and has a death date that she has no control over. Kinda like Gus from The Fault in Our Stars.

I re-wrote this chapter so many times you don't even know. All of the re-writes turned out terrible but I guess this one's kind of okay.

QOTD: Favourite book series?
AOTD: Harry Potter

Vote and comment!

Love,
     Manny