ZMD

Arrington Noel DeGrate
October 17, 2001

"Girl look at you. You about to pop." Kayla said rubbing my stomach.

"Girl don't even remind me. I can barely walk 10 feet without getting tired." I said trying to fix myself on the couch.

"So did you guys decide on a name?" Mary asked coming in with some chips.

"Donald is in charge of naming her. I told him don't do no crazy ass names or else it'll change. Just in case I don't like the name, we said we'd name her Leah."

"Leah is cute. I can't wait to see what he comes up with though. So how's everything?"

"Well for this year everything is good. Y'all know how we are."

"No it's not you, it's him." Kayla said laughing.

"Don't be talking about my husband. If I say something that's fine cause he's my man, but y'all lil heffas better watch it." One thing I don't do is talk about someone else's man cause it's not my place. Now if I'm talking about him you can agree but don't be putting in your two cents. I ain't ask for change.

"My bad A." Kayla said putting her hands up.

"Well let's just get back to planning this baby shower." Mary said changing the subject.

"Who do you want there?" Kayla asked getting a pen and pad.

"Girl I'm not even sure. Mary are you comfortable if K-Ci comes?" I know they've been broken up for what seems like forever and Mary is actually married now. I don't care for her new man, but that's not my business. She knows to keep him away from me.

She nodded. "I'm over that whole thing, I can be cordial."

We sat there for a good two hours planning everything out. Eventually I got tired so we turned on a movie. We were watching Sister Act II when De came in with Justin and Dyanna.

"Hey mama." Dyanna said kissing my cheek. The kids decided to call me mom on their own around 95 and it made me happy cause I felt like they were my kids.

"Hey princess. Hey Justin."

"Hey ma, how're you and the baby?" Justin asked sitting next to me. "Oh, hello everyone." He said acknowledging the girls who were halfway sleep.

"Hey boo. Ari I'm bout to bounce. I need to go lay in bed with my man and my baby." Kayla said getting up. Yes Kayla had a child now, who would've thought. She gave birth 6 months ago to a beautiful baby boy name Isaiah. Mary got up along with her and they left a kiss on my cheek.

"Your little sister is fine. Just kicking my butt on a daily."

Dyanna started screaming. "AAAHHH ITS A GIRL! I knew it! Thank you Jesus! She's going to be my little mini me." She bent down to my stomach and started rubbing it. "Hey beautiful. I'm your big sister. You're going to be so adorable. If you need anything I got you cause in about to be 12, I got the hook up."

"Little girl what type of hookup you got? You better hush that grown talk before I tell your daddy."

"Tell daddy what?" De said walking in the living room with some wings and fries.

"Nothing. I'm going to bed, goodnight daddy, night mama." Dyanna said racing up the stairs.

"Yeah I'm gonna hit the sack too." Justin said kissing my cheek then dapping De.

"Goodnight my babies." I smiled as Donald sat next to me. He turned the tv to basketball and put one arm around me as he watched the game. I stared at him as he ate.

He sucked his teeth. "I already got you a plate. It's in the kitchen."

"But I want some of yours." I said smiling innocently.

"Baby, why? You do this all the time I get you food and as soon as I'm eating mine you wanna come asking for some."

I stared with a blank face. "So what you saying is I can't have none of your chicken."

He rolled his eyes. "Here man take the damn plate. I don't got a stomach. I don't need to eat."

I laughed at him. "I only want one piece of chicken and some fries. You literally have 20 pieces with double fries. Why you being stingy?"

"How am I being stingy if I got you the same thing? See this why I don't eat around you."

"I'm pregnant and I'm your wife. We are one, if you eating I'm eating. Don't be getting mad." I said taking a piece of chicken. I kissed his cheek and smiled at him. "I love you."

"I love you too baby." He said not taking his eyes off the tv.

"Donald the Bulls are not that damn good for you to not look at me." I pouted about to get up. It was hard as hell though cause I have two globes as my stomach.

He grabbed me by my waste and kissed my lips. "I love you baby. You're even more gorgeous now than you were 10 years ago. You age like fine wine and you're carrying my seed. I will always love you and you'll always have a permanent mark on my heart."

I started crying. This damn pregnancy makes me a punk. I'm all emotional and stuff. "You're so s-s-sweet!"

"Okay babe, stop crying. You doing too much." He said kissing my cheek and returning his attention to the game and his food.

After I collected myself I leaned into him as stared at the tv. "You so cute, I'm still mad you got the damn tattoo. It's not as big as I thought it would be, but the shit still ugly." I started rubbing my stomach. "Baby girl your daddy don't listen to mommy. I told him cut off the struggle pony, did he do it? No. Now he out here looking like will sing for food. I told him don't get the tattoo on his face, did he listen? No now his ass looking crazy about to have you be teased all throughout high school. Ain't nobody gonna talk to you cause your daddy look scary. Why he do that to you baby? Why?"

"Zyla tell your mom stop being a hater all her life." He said laughing at my comments.

She kicked as soon as he said the name. "That's the name you chose? Zyla?"

"Yeah. Zyla Marie DeGrate. I thought it was nice, you like it?"

"It's beautiful. I'm assuming she likes it too cause she's going crazy."

He kissed my stomach. "Kick her in the back ZyZy!"

She started moving around like crazy. "Little girl don't try me, remember who's bringing you in this world." She soon stopped moving and I smiled. "Nigga don't be trying to turn my daughter against me."

"Aye lil nigga don't be cursing around my baby." He said looking over at me.

"Nigga you just cursed!"

"Oh shit — I mean crap, you right."

We both laughed as I kept eating his fries. He continued watching the game and I continued watching him. He may act up, but he has a genuine heart. It's the little moments like these that make me fall in love all over again.

-----

Excuse any errors