On a Prayer

Arrington Noel DeGrate
August 6, 1997

"So you finally about to cut an album Ari?" Static said swinging around in his chair.

"Yeah I guess. I need it to be good though with a fresh sound which is why I called you."

He laughed. "You're married to one of the greatest producers and you gonna call me?"

"You get my sound Static. We mesh well together. You're like my musical husband, just don't tell my actual husband I said that."

We laughed and started playing around with beats. Since getting our place De created a studio downstairs so we could work from home.

Ladies if you're single
And you out here trying to catch one
Baby girl our time is coming
It's gon' be someone who compliments the vision

So just keep your mind right
And keep that body tight
Be everything you wanna see in him
It's only right
Better do it while you're single
He's somewhere looking for you single ooh woah

We gotta stay ready
Gotta stay ready
Oh, something like a baseball game
I'm a catcher in position
Focused on the ball
You know I don't wanna miss it
I'm ready
Oh, ready yeah
hmm hmm hmm hmm

"You gonna as harmonies on that bridge and chorus?" Static asked and I nodded. We then started creating harmonies with each other.

After a long session I walked upstairs and started cleaning. I was about to put some clothes to wash. I started emptying De's pockets and found a box of condoms in it. It said three came in a pack but two were missing. I nodded my head and put the clothes down grabbing my keys and heading to the car.

I knocked the door, but no answer. Once I started banging on the door Dalvin came out looking at me like I'm crazy.

"Damn sis, don't be banging so hard on my doors like that." I pushed him in the house and closed the door. I pulled out the condoms and he gave me a weird look. "Um Ari, you fine and all, but you're married to my brother."

"Shut up nigga. I ain't come over to have sex with you. I found these in Donald's pants. I know good and damn well he and I don't use condoms so he has to be using them with somebody. Now I already he's gonna lie so I'm coming to you. Who he been fucking? I know you know. Y'all all hoes, y'all tell each other shit."

He sighed. "Ari I don't know. Far as I know he claims he always at the studio."

"Doing what? He got a studio at home? His schedule is supposed to be clear.. Jodeci is over for now. K-Ci and JoJo aren't releasing their projects yet, so what? You know how embarrassing this is?"

He gave me a look of sympathy. "He loves you Arrington. Maybe he just made a mistake or something."

I shook my head. "I've had two girls call the house asking for him. One girl popped up on me at the studio telling me how they're sleeping together. Not to mention he got random marks on his neck that I know I didn't put there and he smells like cheap perfume. I just don't get it.. Am I not enough? Did I do something wrong in our marriage? It's only been two years?"

"Maybe he's just stressed. What're you going to do?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I'm gonna go. Thanks Dal." He hugged me and walked me to the door. "Oh and Dalvin? Tell him I know he's hiding in your house. I can smell his cologne."

I got in my car and drove back home. I know De was in there cause Dalvin don't take long to answer the door. On top of that he left his shoes by the foyer. I stared at the darkness until I fell asleep.

I was awaken when I heard the door open. I saw him walking in the room. He walked over to the bed and kissed my forehead before going into the shower. He was in there for 30 minutes before coming out with only his towel on. He put on some pajama pants and got in bed.

He scooted close to me and kissed the back of my neck. "I hope whoever she is, is trying worth it." I said turning to face him. "She better be worth it." He stared at me.

"It's not like that baby."

"I'm not dumb DeVante."

"You're assuming things and it's about to piss me off." He got out of bed grabbing a pillow. "Always fucking shit up."

I just laid there and stared at the darkness. How did I even get here?

///////

August 23, 1997

"De stop, what is wrong?" He was throwing things around like a mad man.

"Where's my shit Arrington?" He said walking towards me.

"I don't even know what you're talking about right now." I know exactly what he's talking about. The other day I found some coke and pills in his dresser and I threw them shits right in the garbage disposal. I hate that he is in this lifestyle he's ruining all he's ever worked for.

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO FUCK WITH MY SHIT! I know you touched them, WHERE ARE THEY?" He grabbed my arms.

"Donald I don't know what the hell you're talking about. I haven't touched anything of yours."

He picked me up and slammed me against the wall. "You think I'm stupid. You lying ass — you know what.. Find my shit. I will fucking hurt you do you hear me?"

I let out a whimper. "Don I didn't touch anything. It's me, you're wife. You know me baby."

"You fucked with it. It had to be you."

"But I don't even know what we're referring to."

"YOU TOUCHED MY DRUGS! Don't fuck with me right now Arrington." He held a tight grip on my waste. I put my hands up to touch his face.

"Donald, I haven't touched anything. Why are you even doing drugs?" He looked me in my eyes with a cold glare.

"Cause shit ain't working. My damn label fucked up. You out here trying to do your own shit. Now you wanna be in the motherfucking spot light. Yo ass still ain't give me no fucking baby."

"Donald you know I want kids. It take time. I want it natural not through IVF and with prayer it'll happen."

"Oh fuck that. God don't care about our asses. It's a devil world out here baby. Get with the times. You disgust me, get the fuck out my face. Go make me some dinner."

"Donald it's noon. I'm not leaving, we're going to talk. Baby God loves us, we work according to His timing. He may not come when we want but He's always on time. I'm trying to fight for us why are you giving up?"

"Cause at this point.. I'm not in love with you. You can't give me what I want."

I looked at him with tears in my eyes. "You don't mean that Donald. It's the drugs. When I said for better or for worse I truly meant it. If you feel right now that you don't love me, I need a reason why. I cook, I clean, I'm always supporting you. The past 8 years never once have I turned on you. You need to wake up and realize who's truly here for you."

"I'm leaving." He grabbed his wallet and keys.

"Donald?! Stop!" He slammed the door and pulled off in his car. 

I sighed and looked around the house. I walked into my quiet room and got on my knees.

"Lord, I'm trying to fight for my marriage. I don't believe you brought us together for nothing. Help me to have a patient spirit. Allow me to quiet my tongue when needed and still continue to be submissive to my husband as I am into Christ. Mold him into the head he is supposed to be and Lord, please keep him safe. Amen."

-----

Excuse any errors