Chapter 14

Caisson checks her hand in the rigging before positioning her right arm and nodding for the gate to be opened. It swings open and the sorrel mare beneath her turns on the power. Fist she jumps straight up, then forward and finally her signature move Caisson has been waiting for. The backwards jump. A soft grin spreads across her face as she rides it out, but just before the buzzer rings through the air the horse makes a quick spin to the left leaving Caisson in the soft arena dust.

She hangs her head as she walks to the edge of the chute and climbs over. The one night that everyone, that matters to her, is watching she can't do it. As she puts her leggings and vest back into her bag her phone begins to ring. She has Cornerstone set as her ring tone. The words sink in as it plays.

My hope is built on nothing less, Than Jesus' blood and righteousness, I dare not trust the sweetest frame, But wholly trust in Jesus' name My hope is built on nothing less, Than Jesus' blood and righteousness, I dare not trust the sweetest frame, But wholly trust in Jesus' name, Christ alone; cornerstone, Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love, Through the storm, He is Lord, Lord of all

The phone stops ringing bringing her from the moment of worship. She smiles, yes the song is right. All that matters it Jesus and he has a plan. Not thinking about her phone in anyway she bows her head and begins to pray. "Father God, thank you for giving me safe travels here and a safe ride. You have blessed me in so many ways that I don't even see. Thank you for forgiving me as I wonder into the world's ways and stray from you. Thank you for bringing me back to you. In Jesus name, Amen."

She grabs her duffle and starts towards her pickup, but before she gets within ten feet from the chutes she is picked up and spun around.

"You should have told me you were going to do that! I would have helped you get ready. And you almost gave me a heart attack. I missed you so much!"

She giggles at his ramble. "Okay, Gun, calm down there. I wanted to surprise you," she tells him staring up into his crystal blue eyes as his strong arms hold her bridal style.

"Well, Cais, you certainly did."

She smiles and lays her head on his chest. It feels so good to be back in his arms and with him. When she sees his pickup coming into view she smiles.

Gunner sets her down by the edge of the tail gate. "Hold on just a second," he tells her with a grin on his face. She raises an eyebrow as she watches him unlock the cab of his pickup and look in the back seat. A giggle escapes her lips as he comes back with a bunch of blankets and the grin still on his face. "Lets watch the stars."
***

Caisson wakes up and shivers against the chill of dusk. She looks slowly around her and smiles as her gaze lands on Gunner. Seeing that he is still sleeping she checks her phone to see what time it is. It is only 10:15 however she doesn't get a chance to take in the numbers as she scrolls through the overwhelming amount of texts, missed phone calls and messages from her brother and parents. "Oh boy! Let the craziness begin," she whisper yells as not to wake Gunner up.

She begins to listen to the voicemails. "You were in the rodeo and didn't tell me?! I was getting ready when you rode. One of the guys asked if you were my sister. And broncs? What are you thinking?" It is from none other than her brother Colton. She shakes her head and clicks to the next one.

"Caisson! Why didn't you tell us you were going to ride in the rodeo? That's great baby! But really do you have to do broncs? Can't it be something safer? Like barrels? I love that you are in the rodeo but you are not going to ride broncs again."

"I am never going to do enough to please him, am I?" She mutters.

"Who?" Gunner asks softly.

She jumps a little, but then smiles realizing who it is. Should she tell him what she is talking about or blow it off? Hesitating a moment she nods. "My dad," she finally mutters.

He wraps his arms around her and kisses her forehead. "I think he knows the talent that you have and doesn't want you to let that go to waste. He just doesn't know that the way he is telling you that is hurting you. I really don't believe that he intentionally is trying to hurt you."

She lays her head on his shoulder and begins to ponder his words. Maybe he's right, but that doesn't make her feel much better. "So if that is it what do I do?"

"Well, if you like it, I would say stick with broncs show them what you can do with that."

A thought crosses her mind and a smile spreads across her face.

He cocks an eyebrow. "Oh no! What kind of dangerous ideas are running through your brain?"

She laughs then a grin spreads across her face. "Nothing I was just thinking that my cousin is on the rodeo circuit and maybe she would want a traveling partner."

He raises an eyebrow in question. "Like you want to go to pretty much all the rodeos?"

"Yep!" The word barely gets out of her mouth before he wraps her in his arms and kisses her cheek.