Chapter 1

2 Years Later

Caisson blows hot air through her slightly parted lips and rests the sharp single blade ax at her side. She has been cutting and chopping wood for the past hour, to prepare for the snow storm blowing through the community of Eagle Crossing, Montana. Her little twenty acres are just North of the small town. Her back aches, her feet are sore, and her fingers cramping, but the knowledge of what is to come drives her on.

She swings sticking the shining blade in the middle of the large stump. The stump busts in half revealing nice hard wood ready for burning. She smiles and picks up the smaller short handled ax and the large heavy hammer. Placing the blade in the middle of the half piece of wood and begins to drive the blade into the wood until it splits in half. "Finally," she mutters tossing the pieces to the side and picking up a new one. She repeats the process over several more stumps before taking a breather.

"Finish this pile and I'll go find some other back breaking work to do." She sticks the blade in the stump and bends to drive it through with the hammer. Aim, swing, pound, "Ouch! Dang it I should have paid attention." She rubs just above her knee where an obvious knot is already beginning to form the wince that escapes her is just one thing to show how sore she will be tomorrow. She finishes the stump she is working on and puts her tools away.

Stacking wood outside the back door she watches two of her kittens roll around in good spirits. The grey rolls the orange one in a ball with a swat just before the orange kitten hops up and pounces on the grey's back. When one does a back flip she bursts into laughter and tosses the plastic mouse in front of the two. They toss it in the air and bat it around. A gust of cold air against her back reminds her of the snow storm coming. She gets back to stacking wood in a perfect triangle shape to maximize the amount on each pallet while still keeping it from falling.

By the time all the wood is stacked and ready for burning it is nearing time to feed. She grabs three large chips of hay and throws them to her three horses, Joe, Dandy and Lobster. Adding oats to their troughs she rubs each one in their favorite spots. Then she moves to the forty hens red and three grey rosters she has. Three scoops of milo, four scoops of cracked corn and one bundle of cut grass.

Caisson pours out a cup of kitten food, in the silver pan just outside the back door, before entering the house. She adds another log to the fire place and puts a pot of coffee on to make before going to her room to strip from the dap clothes.

Staring into the warm glow of the orange and yellow flames of the fire has always comforted Caisson. Now, as the wind swirls and howls outside, is no different. Taking a sip of warm coffee she smiles. Refreshing, especially after all the cold wind. The stack of special orders catches her eye reminding her of the tasks that will fill the long hours while the snow swirls around outside. "Maybe I can get all of the orders done by the time the weather is nice enough to visit Colton and Tiffany."

***
Lord keep me humble and give me the strength I need for this ride, In Jesus name, amen.

Gunner checks his safety vest and climbs into the bucking chute. He is now standing over and staring at the raging bull's back. Once the black mammal has calmed a bit he settles each leg on a side of the mound of muscle. When his right hand is secure he nods awaiting the rough eight seconds ahead. His heart rate picks up as the gate swings open and the bull makes a sharp spin to the left before cutting back to the right. A violent and powerful kick explodes as the bull twists his body in effort to throw Gunner.

Everything happens in slow motion, for Gunner, as the bull twists, turns and kicks. The sound of the crowd cheering spurs him on until the sound every bull rider waits for blares through out the arena. He smiles and rides out the last spin before jumping into the soft arena dirt. Looking to the crowd he throws his hat before scurrying to the fence. I made it once again. Thank you Lord Jesus!