Chapter 23

Chapter 23 Annabel

I woke up pressed against Eli's warm back. I rubbed his soft skin with my fingertips, his back burning to the touch. He looked tense, but seemed to be sleeping peacefully. It was somehow so relaxing to lay with him, feeling his lean body beneath my hand as he breathed heavily.

"Are you awake?" I asked softly.

No answer. I pressed a soft kiss to his bare back, then another.

"I don't want to leave you, Eli. I don't want to be anywhere that you're not. I love you. I love you so much and I really don't want to be away from you. I just...I didn't mean what I said last night. It just scares me to leave, and I thought that if maybe I acted like I didn't care; I eventually wouldn't. I didn't mean it, and I do love you."

He rolled over, looking me in the eyes and I was shocked at his sudden movement. Sighing, I realized that he had never been asleep, only pretended to be. He heard every word and I could tell by simply the look on his face.

"I thought you were asleep."

He nodded.

"I had to know."

"Know what?" I asked, confused.

"That there's some hope you will stay."

This made me want to cry and before I knew it, salty tears ran down my cheeks and Eli pulled me into his warm body. I couldn't hold any more emotions in with everything going on. I felt ridiculous for crying, but it was just something I couldn't help. I wanted to be with Eli and I knew that for me, this year wouldn't be enough for me.

"Please don't cry, please don't."

I nodded, but I couldn't help it. I was finally letting years of frustration out. I hadn't cried in the longest time and now I was, in front of Eli. I didn't want him to see me like this but he was the only person I could imagine opening up to. He understood me and I wasn't ready to let that go.

"Annabel, if you go, we can make it work. I'll call you every night and we'll tell each other everything. It will make us stronger."

I wiped my tears away, trying to regain my composure.

"The girls are going to be all over you." I whined.

He chuckled a little and I gave him a look.

"It's only you."

"Eli, what made you like me? Weren't there other girls before I moved here."

"No, there wasn't. I told you that I liked you because you were different but that's not the real reason. The first night I saw you on the beach, I was automatically drawn to you. I tried to fight it. I thought that it was a betrayal to Sophie, but I know...she would have loved you. She would have wanted this...me happy."

I nodded and squeezed him tightly. From what I'd heard, it was clear that Sophia really loved him and I knew that if it were me, I would want him happy. In a way—since I found out about Sophia of course—I kind of always felt as if I was stealing Eli away, stealing him away from her. At times, it seemed as though she had a claim on him even after death. As crazy as it sounded, I think that feeling had more to do with Eli having a claim on her. Maybe it was my insecurity. Maybe I was just being an idiot. However, in this moment, I felt that worry disappear. She loved him. Somehow, I know that she loved him a lot, and she'd want him happy.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

**************