Chapter 11

"I won! I won! Hey Eli, guess what? I won!" I was jumping up and down, doing an incredibly embarrassing victory dance and I was pretty sure that Eli and Rico were laughing at me as I through my arms in the air, swiveling my hips a little. I didn't care in the least. For some reason, I didn't mind acting totally silly here with them, letting just a sliver of my true self come to life.

"It's about time somebody show Eli up." Rico said, throwing his hand up in the air for me to high five before joining me in my stupid, ridiculous dance, starting to sway his hips and stomp his feet in a non-existent rhythm.

I'd beaten Eli at bowling. Not by much, only a few points, but I felt accomplished and a bit cocky. Eli had his head ducked down, pouting. I walked up to him, peering into his brown eyes. Despite our deal—my promise to let him win—I couldn't stop trying once I realized that I actually had a real chance of beating him. I just couldn't let him win and I still wanted to give him money for all the work he'd done on my car.

"Don't be a sore loser, dopey."

He was trying not to smile but couldn't help it, his effort to hide the grin so amusing. Soon, the famous lop-sided grin was breaking through his façade.

"You're smart." He said.

"So are you."

I knew this was a mixed message because of our previous conversation about our history project. Rico shook his head and smiled, picking up on the reference to the earlier conversation, how in this moment, Eli was unofficially giving in a telling me that I was smart. He had tried to claim that he didn't call me smart, but now, now he was admitting it and giving me all the satisfaction.

"Annabel, are you ready to go?" Eli asked me and I nodded, smiling once as he stepped closer to me.

"Where are you guys going?"

"The beach." Eli said and he seemed ready to leave in an instant.

"Oh, well have fun. I'll see you guys tomorrow maybe."

Eli looked over to me and I nodded. Of course I would come. Why wouldn't I?

"Sure Rico." I agreed so he would know I was planning to come back. I wanted more than anything to spend every night with the two of them, drinking Cliff's coffee, eating pie, and bowling until a winner was finally declared before starting a new game.

Eli picked up my jacket, handing it to me as we walked out the door, his movements rushed.

"Bye, Cliff." Eli called out to the old man leaned against the bar.

"Bye. See you guys tomorrow." I heard Cliff's husky voice say as he fiddled with the coffee maker that was making a terrible sounding racket while percolating the brew.

At the beach, it was only me and Eli. Nobody else was in sight and I had a feeling Eli wanted it that way. He smiled, lifting his head into the warm breeze and here, he wasn't near as playful but more serious as he scanned the beach, watching closely as waves continually crashed against the sand.

"You know...I had fun tonight." I said.

"Yeah, I did too, but I know you think you're too cool for us." He played and I was relieved to find that he was returning to the playful side, the side I was becoming more and more fond of.

I hit his shoulder with mine and he did the same, smiling.

"So, what don't I know about you Annabel?"

A lot. I didn't say this though, instead, turning away from him to look at the water, the lull of the waves calming me slightly. I needed a distraction, even if it was only for a few seconds. Still, I had to face him eventually and it wasn't terrifying. If I was going to get personal with one person of my choosing, it would be Eli. The thing is; I would never willingly choose to talk some parts of my childhood, especially my over-bearing mother.