The Big Reveal (Haikyuu!!)

Ship: DaiSuga (but it's more of a friendship in this chapter)

Word Count: 1,906

Other notes: This chapter is just a little idea I've been tossing around in my head for a while, but I don't see it in the actual show. It just sorta popped into my head, so of course I had to write it.

Oikawa stands in front of him, eyes wide and round as Daichi speaks. After stuttering incoherently for a few seconds, the lanky setter replies. "E-Excuse me?" He asks in a rare moment of insecurity and shock. Daichi smiles warmly at him, and Oikawa hates it. He hates the caring look, hates the understanding that sits behind those dark brown eyes. And he hates it even more when Karasuno's team captain speaks to him again in that soft, calm, soothing voice.

"Do you want to be referred to as "they?"" He asks slowly and gently, making sure Oikawa fully understands the intention of the innocent question.

The taller brunette fists his hand in the front of his shirt, his words coming out as something close to a hiss of fear. "How did you know?" He asks frantically, wild eyes flitting back and forth between Daichi's infuriatingly calm ones. Daichi gets a far-off look on his face as he remembers one particular instance his first year of high school.

-----------------------------------

It's his first year at Karasuno High School, but his third month in the volleyball club with his fellow first years, Sugawara and Asahi. Asahi is quiet and reserved, seeming to be afraid of just about everything. Meanwhile, Sugawara is... Flamboyant. He's a very supportive member of the team, and often is reduced to fits of giggles when happy. But Daichi learned, along with the rest of the team, to never call the silver-haired male anything that to could be a synonym to "female." Calling him "girly," or "feminine" is enough to cause the usually bright and cheerful boy to become reclusive and distant, a troubled look falling over his features.

Daichi goes through practice that day as usual, the fact that the third years get the spotlight even when they're not playing a game not bothering him. They are going to be graduating soon, after all. After that, it'll be his turn. He can wait.

Sugawara, on the other hand, seems off that day. He keeps puffing out the front of his shirt, even more than usual, and then his eyes will dart around the room before his face falls into a smile again. Daichi has figured out by now that puffing out the front of his shirt is a nervous tic for the other male. So, he meets his eyes with a soft smile, a silent promise of "We'll talk after practice." But Suga, to his dismay, only looks more distressed after that. Not that he doesn't try to hide it, though. Daichi has just learned to see through the fake smiles and thoughtless "I'm fine's." He understands Suga better than anyone else does, and they both know it.

Reflecting back later, Daichi realizes he should've seen it coming. But, he didn't. He had noticed that Suga didn't change with the rest of the team; They all had. But, they all just figured he changed at home or something. None of them really expected what the real reason was.

Daichi finishes practice, occasionally giving Suga that same look of reassurance and concern, that same unspoken promise echoing throughout the gym. "We'll talk after practice." The dark haired male tears his gaze away from the distraught copper ones as the team sits on the ground to discuss their next game. Takeda talks a little, sounding very timid and small as the team looks to him for words of reassurance and wisdom, which the bespectacled man clearly has no idea how to give out. He dismisses them, and the whole team walks out the door. All except for Suga and Daichi, that is.