Ch. 41 - Girlfriend-To-Be

Start from the beginning

Ethan looks at Elliott and nods. "We want to have a party!"

"You do?" I ask. "Well, I could never be opposed to a party hosted by you, Ethan."

"Awesome!" he cheers excitedly and gives his big brother a high-five.

"Bethany decided it would be best if it were a surprise party, so we won't be telling you when it'll happen. The suspense will probably eat you alive," Elliott says.

"A sadistic baby she is," I laugh and take her from Elliott.

"She must've learned it from you," he says. "I mean, you're putting me through the same thing with this whole friendship ordeal."

I shake my head. "Elliott, you agreed to it."

"Uh, yeah, because I was certain you'd cave the next morning." He sighs. "This is so stupid. You treat me like your boyfriend and I act like one--a perfect one, might I add-- but I'm not even allowed to kiss you."

"Ew, kissing," Ethan says and sticks out his tongue. "Gross!"

"Exactly, E." I point to the little kid. "He knows his stuff."

Elliott groans and throws his arms behind his head in a stretch. "Can we set a specific date on when this is over?"

"Liott, the whole point is to regain trust and rebuild our friendship. I don't want just a physical relationship with you."

"Ew, physical," Ethan says and sticks out his tongue. "I hate exercise!"

Elliott smiles. "Well, I already trust you, and you're already my best friend."

"Try telling that to Flynn."

"Flynn who? You want me to dump him? Because I would for you."

I laugh and place Bethany on the floor where she crawls into Ethan's block tower accidentally. I point to the collapsed building and say, "there. A perfect metaphor for our relationship."

"You are so impossible to love, Ivy."

"Thank you."

He crosses his arms over his chest and huffs like a little boy. "I'm so over this. I'm going to Flynn's house."

"Don't you want to celebrate Jonas' graduation?"

"With all of his little dweebie friends who have crushes on my girlfriend-to-be?" He cocks his head to the side. "Yeah, I think I'll pass."

"Come on, Liott. He'll want you there," I say. "You're his big brother. You know he likes to show you off to all of his friends."

"Actually, Ives, he likes to show you off." He stands up from the couch. "You shouldn't want to be here when you'll just get objectified by a bunch of fourteen-year-olds."

I smile. "It's a free confidence booster."

He rolls his eyes and picks Bethany up and bounces her in his arms. "Bethany, tell Nanny Ivy she's pretty. Apparently her boyfriend-to-be doesn't compliment her enough."

Bethany giggles and rubs her head against her big brother's shoulder. Elliott carries her into the kitchen, leaving me with Ethan and his blocks.

"I think you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, Ivy," Ethan says with a sweet smile.

I pout my lip. "Thank you, E. You're not too bad looking yourself, kiddo."