'Okay Cheryl, looks like we're in the clear. Quickly now, follow me.'

They walked as quickly as possible and turned left onto the main road, hoping to remain unseen. They looked decidedly out of place in the deserted street, and Cheryl had the ridiculous feeling that they would be arrested if spotted.

'E'scuse me, whe' you are going?' said a voice abruptly. Cheryl jumped. A uniformed security guard stood glaring at them.

'I'm so sorry,' said Scott quickly, 'my wife has a severe cramp, and urgently needs to use a bathroom.' Leaning forward, he whispered conspiratorially, 'I think it may be period pains.'

'Of cos, the ghels are always needing the toilet!' their interrogator said, laughing. 'You can be finding the toilet theh,' he said, pointing at a small whitewashed building about fifty meters away. Thanking him, Scott and Cheryl made their way as directed, Cheryl affecting an exaggerated limp that she hoped would pass as a "ghel who was needing the toilet".

The smell that greeted them was indescribable. A sharp, acidic stench that made the eyes water, combined with an almost fruity ripeness that one could only associate with a toilet that has continued being used despite the fact that it stopped flushing months ago.

Cheryl retched. 'I can't go in there, Scott,' she pleaded.

'Sorry my ghel, but we have no choice,' he said. She could hear the humour in his voice, and loved and hated him for it. He was born and bred in this country, and appreciated its idiosyncrasies for what they were, whereas she was a relative newcomer, still naïve to its ways.

Scott propelled her gently into the tiny, tiled building, and with relief, Cheryl saw another door on the far side. She wasted no time getting out, and gasped for air as she emerged.

'Scott! Did you see? There was no toilet seat!' she said, shocked. 'No lid, no seat ... no toilet paper!'

Scott laughed. 'I take it you noticed the door?' he asked, grinning.

'No, I didn't,' she said. 'Why, what was wrong with it?'

'There wasn't one,' he said, chuckling. She gave a little gasp of shock.

'But what if it really was an emergency, Scott?' she asked, completely alarmed by the prospect.

Scott laughed again. 'Well that would have been a pretty crap situation!' She gave him a withering look.

They made their way behind a few desolate buildings before emerging back on the main road out of sight of their erstwhile interrogator. The arrangement was to meet Johnny on the south-western side of the island, where there was no development, and there would be very little chance of being seen. They jogged across the road and slipped through a hedge, finding themselves in an open field. They could see their destination ahead, and made their way through the long grass. Cheryl glanced around.

'I wonder where ...' but her words were cut off as an invisible force encapsulated them. For a frightening second Cheryl thought she couldn't breathe, and panic rose in her breast, but within moments they found themselves in a strange, dimly lit room.

Johnny sat before an odd-looking device, and Jade stood a few feet from him. Neither smiled.

'Johnny?' said Cheryl shakily.

Johnny stood up and walked forward.

'Please forgive me if I keep you bound for now. We have never actually met, and although I believe you can be trusted, your government considers me an enemy,' he said. Jade walked forward and placed a hand on his shoulder.

'Johnny, I think they are our friends,' she said quietly. He pondered a moment before agreeing.

'Very well,' he said. He walked over to the controls and placed his hands on them for a moment. Cheryl felt the invisible resistance fall away, and it was as if the air around her brightened visibly. She looked at Scott, and he nodded.