Chapter Thirty-Eight

There was an edge to his voice that gave her pause and when peering into his amber eyes she was taken aback by the woefulness reflected there. Her heart wrenched with empathy for within his eyes she witnessed not a hardened warrior, but a man abundant with great pain.

                She felt tears at the back of her eyes as an understanding dawned. He leaned forward and rested his head against her breast, and she held him, wrapping her arms around his massive frame. She ran her hands the length of his back, teasing the strands that rested amongst his shoulders, all the while, being that leverage, willing to take the weight of all his agonies.

                Outside this room, he was a fearsome, sword-wielding warrior, but here, within her arms, she found a tormented man.

                He lifted his head and eyes stormy with afflictions gazed deeply into hers. He reared up and claimed her lips. She opened her mouth to him and his tongue dipped inside, rolling and teasing. She felt his hastiness, his eagerness to claim her and when he pushed her skirts up, she shuddered with anticipation.

                He was hurting and she gave no second thought to his claiming, his way of seizing something back. What fate is there for a warrior who’s chosen a path certain of bloodshed and pain? If she could offer him a moments of happiness, a willingness to love unconditionally, she would give that, wholeheartedly. She would love him, now and forever.

                He kissed her deeply, possessively, almost painfully, but she wasn’t afraid. Her hands unraveled from his tunic, flattening to explore the solid chest beneath.

                She whimpered in delight beneath his lavished kisses.

                His hands roamed over her freely, exploring every luscious curve, implanting every intricate line that made up her delectable body infinitely in his mind.

                He bent her over his arm, pressing heated, hungry kisses to the lively pulse quivering beneath his mouth.

                “So beautiful-“ he whispered hoarsely as he nuzzled the hollow at the base of her throat.

                His hand moved to the front of his breeches where the evidence of his arousal bulged eagerly. Her heart jolted heatedly as he undid the front and his manhood came free.

                His hand moved to the nape of her neck as he hungrily kissed her, pressing hot, ardent kisses to her lips, chin and jaw.

                He stepped further into the cradle of her thighs and grabbing her waist, jerked her closer, tighter against him. She arched into his chest as he fastened his lips to the pulse beating feverishly there.

                “Alana-“ he groaned tensely.