Chapter Thirty-One

Word of William’s arrival spread vastly through Linden, triggering an immediate response in all the serfs to work diligently in preparation for the King.

            Rosalind was thoroughly petrified.

            She had heard much gruesome talk of William from his fierce countenance to his unmerciful manner.

            She was quite sure that William would show her very little courtesy and lenience. She was after all the daughter of a Saxon trying to keep his lands on Norman territory.

            Did William come to Linden to access their agreement?

            She would be happy to tell the King that her supposed husband-to-be wanted absolutely nothing to do with her but everything to do with a simple-minded serf!

            Mayhap having William come to Linden could work to her advantage?

            Her father was a tenacious man; she had never seen the look of fear in his eyes, until now. He was in fear of losing his lands and it was up to her to ensure that doesn’t happen. She couldn’t allow Fallon’s infatuation with a serf to corrupt that.

            William had agreed to their bargain, surely he would disapprove of a serf getting in the way of that? Mayhap if she explained he would simply do away with Alana.

            She was so enlightened by the thought; she gathered her skirts and went in search of her husband-to-be. She had every means of revealing her intentions to Fallon for he would know that nothing would stand in the way of their arrangement.

            When she found him, he was training in the field, bathed in perspiration, muscle gleaming beneath the sun; a magnificent work of man-all women would envy her.

            “My lord, I would have a word with you.” She called, drawing his golden glare.

            He appeared annoyed with her demand but simply handed his sword to a man standing nearby and walked toward her. “What have you, milady?”
            “I intend to speak with the King when he arrives.”

            She had hoped to spark some sort of response in him but his face remained expressionless and so she continued, hoping to rile him. “My father and your King made an arrangement and I have attempted on my part, you however, fail to acknowledge any of it and instead chase after the skirts of another-shall I bring this to your Lordship’s attention?”
            She caught the flicker of anger, the sudden rush of temper for his eyes flared brighter, more pronounced in their brilliant amber as he said very sternly. “Lady Rosalind-“ his voice was flat, lacking any warmth on her part. “-I have every intention of addressing my King on the matter, however, for a reason entirely of my own.” He stepped toward her and she had to swallow, suddenly robbed of her breath of his nearness. “You see-“ he said very carefully, “-I have no intention of marrying you and I will find every means possible of escaping this damned agreement.”

            Her mouth fell open as he turned and stalked away, leaving her to glare outraged at his back.

            How dare him! Dismiss her so easily?

            Her nails dug into her palms until they bled. So he thought to rid him of her that quickly? She was a McLeod!

            Spinning angrily around on her heels, she stalked towards the keep. She’d be damned if she was going to allow this to happen.