Ch 3. Disaster In Paradise

Start from the beginning

My mother said with a snicker. God damn now it was a family affair.

I didn’t reply to her statement, trying to change the subject.

“I am going to the river today. I will be back before dark.” I ducked down to kiss Fernilda on the cheek then my mother. When I was turning around to leave, she grabbed my arm tight and I turned to her,

“ Be careful” she meant it. I knew it.

There was a inn between here and the river I had to pass. No big deal really but if you where me, a shunned prince form a foreign land if found here I would probable be hunted down killed. Well if you where me you would do what you could to try and not meet thoughs people or the people who knew them.

“I will ” I gave her a reassuring smile.

“Dustin don’t drown in the river” Fernilda said with a chuckle

Dustin, Dustin Dustin. I had gotten use to the name. It was just another measure taken so my identity would be hidden.

But really I wanted a cool name like the other kids in the town. They sounded so, old and stuff. But hear I am with Dustin… even my real name was better Brenton. But was quickly nick named Brent.

I just walked out the door with food in one hand and pole in the other. It was a nice day. The sun was out the neighbors where happy. I stopped at old Aed’s house he gave me some worms, we chatted he gave me more tips on fishing.

I asked but he had not seen my friends Cathasach or Geinette yet. So I knew I would get some alone time at the river. I ate my food on the way there threw the town, leaving a egg shell trail behind me.

I never walked in front of the inn. Taking the back streets for that part of town. I kept walking he stores and homes started to disappear. And the forest started to take over. There was a little path that was well traveled.

I had finally got to the river after my thirty minute walk.

The trees met the edge of the river. A little bridge that was made out of stone  had moss growing all over it. I always looked to see if it was still. The bridge was so old it was just going to crumble one day.

I looked at the water, clear and flowing. You could see all the colors shining form the small pebbles at the bottom. I set my pole down my tree. And started walking slowly into the cold water, only up to my knees, it still was not hot enough to go for a real swim.

I looked to the other side of the river. The breeze was nice and was pushing the sleeping willow trees leaves into the water. The flowers were in full bloom. All the purples, blues it was beautiful. I glance down again to the ground.

Apparently I had been so still that a little fish had come right up to my feet! I kept my eyes on it. Concentrating on the kill. I started to reach my hand out to grab it.

Suddenly something slammed against me. Pushing me into the water. My god it was cold. I think my balls are frozen.

I got on my hands and knees. I looked up behind me to see the orange short haired crapper himself, Cathasach. I quickly got up and started to wrestle with him.

He is shorter than me, being half leprechaun. I could usually pick him up and throw him some where but his feet where glued to the ground. He pushed me into the water again.

I could hear Geinette’s airy laughter in the background. She was most likely curled up under a tree reading a book. Only looking up to watch Cathasach bully me.

I looked up at Cathasach he had the biggest grin on his face. He was two years younger than me. And had looked up to me since the first time we met. I was like his big brother you could say. My position of being the strongest was now being challenged. And I could not let that happen.