Dear Juliet

Dear Juliet.

     Today I got to school early, hoping I'd catch a glimpse of you so I could say thank you. I'm not sure what for. Maybe for that day you saved me without knowing it. Maybe for smiling at me yesterday.  Maybe just to see your smile.

     You pull up in a white mercedez Benz, and I feel inferior. I walk to school everyday; you're driven by your dad. I wish I had mine.

     You open the door, and I hear yelling. I immediately go on alert. 

    "...You worthless peice of crap!!" A male voice spits. Your dad, probably. "I told you not to call your stupid boyfriend last night!!! You were supposed to stay home!!" You whirl around and slam the door, but he rolls the window down. "I'm talking to you!" He screams. " Don't you walk away from me!!"

    You turn your face in my direction, though you don't see me, and I can see some tears trickling down your cheeks. It makes my blood boil. "I have to go to school!" You say, and keep walking. "We'll finish this when you get home!" Your dad yells, and screeches away, leaving tire tracks all over the parking lot.

     You stand there staring after the car for a while as the wind whips through your hair and the leaves fall gently around you, then you turn and walk towards the school, stooped over and staring at the ground. I'm not sure if I should talk to you or blend in, as usual. Too late, I realize. You saw me.

    You smile and don't even attempt to hide the tears. I like that in you. You're strong, confident and brave. All the things I'm not. I smile back and step out of the corner.

    "Hi." I say quietly.

   "Hi." You say. "Were you listening to that?" I shake my head no vigorously. You make a face. "But you heard it?"

     I nod sheepishly. "I'm sorry." I say. You shake your head. "Not your fault he's loud." You sigh.

    "No." I say. "I mean I'm sorry about him." I jerk my head in the direction he drove. You try to laugh but it comes out as more of a strangled sob. Your lip is trembling, and i want to pull you into my arms and tell you everything will be alright.

      But I can't. You're not mine. You're his. That jock. And i can't just hug another guy's girl, even if she's trembling and crying so hard her head must hurt by now. And even if he's not there for her. I may not have the best mom, but I did learn respect. and even though it sucks, I have to show it.

     But suddenly you step forward and rest your cheek against my chest. I feel your shoulders shaking, and I know I can't push you away. Not when you're like this. Not when you need a friend. Startled, I slowly wrap my arms around you and let you cry. I didn't know I was taller than you. Even if it is only a little bit.

     You cry for a little longer, then step back with an embarrassed look on your face. You wipe he tears from your face with the heel of your hand and you look down at the pavement. "I'm sorry." You say. "I didn't mean to do that."

    The first bus is pulling into the parking lot, and i step back involuntarily to put space between us. I don't want Brandon to see you talking to The Freak.

     "I've just wanted to do that at least once since the day I met you in 9th grade." You say with a sad smile. Then you turn and walk away, and I feel a stupid grin spreading across my face as I watch you walk into the school.