Love in Competition

Start from the beginning

I smiled at least that's the one good thing going on

I smiled at least that's the one good thing going on. My music career has taken off. Do I get nervous? Hell yeah, I just take a shot before I go on stage and then I'm with it.

"Thanks Mary. For everything. You're truly like my sister."

She hugged me. "No problem boo. You're going to get through this. If you guys really love each other and its meant to be, it'll work out. Also, make sure you don't let him weasel into your pants. Keep that pussy on lock."

I nodded and grabbed my things. On the way to what used to be our home I got nervous. I just don't know with Donald. One minute we're good and the next he's upset. I pulled into the driveway and got my purse after turning off the engine. I walked up to the door and he opened it looking amazing.

I kept my composure and said a simple hello. He smiled at me and let me walk past him. The house was dimly lit and had candles and rose pedals tracing the floor. I turned around and he was directly behind me.

I pulled out his gift. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you babygirl." I looked away from him. It's been a while since he called me that.

We walking to the dining room where dinner was already set. He pulled out my chair for me to sit.

"You look gorgeous." He said smiling. Stay strong Ari, don't give in. It don't matter how bomb the dick is, you can read your bible and move on.

"Uhh. T-thanks." We started eating but he kept staring at me. I was ignoring it at first but it got annoying. "Donald what is this? Why am I here?"

"It's my birthday baby. We always celebrate my birthday together."

I shook my head. "Was you not just telling me a month ago how you aren't in love with me? How I ruin everything? Now it's baby this and rose pedals? If you're just horny then you better go get some lotion and handle your business."

"Arrington it's not that. I'm just trying to make it right."

"You've been saying this for 8 years. Like I don't get it. You're doing drugs and drinking. You can't expect to have a family and you're acting like that. I'm not going to bring kids into this type of environment." He stared at me. "And for the record, it's not like I'm not trying to have a kid. Plus, you're always out. We haven't had sex in months. Things just have gotten bad and I don't know how."

"I think we've just gotten used to doing our own thing. You starting your career and me being out there producing and hanging out. My whole career isn't going how I thought. The fact that you're out here living life and having a successful career I think I realized I was a little envious."

"How do we get back?" I asked staring at him.

"I don't really know.. But I know the first step is you moving back home and me supporting you. You're destined for greatness."

"De you should already know that you come before the music. After God you're a main priority in my life. I would give all this shit up if need be."

"Don't ever do that Ari. Don't ever throw away your dream for me or anyone else. Don't.. We're just.. I don't even know. I'm not in my right state of mind right now, but my heart always belongs to you."

"Why are you using?" He stopped messing with his food and tensed up.

He shrugged his shoulders. "Just a habit."

"One that can kill you. Donald that shit is going to kill you. You will die from that. Nothing good comes from smoking crack."

"I'll be fine Arrington."

I shook my head. "No, no you won't. Look it's getting late I should head back to Mary's. Happy birthday." I got up and walked past him after leaving a kiss on his cheek. "I pray for us everyday Donald. That things will get better. I made a song for you, it's in the box with your other presents."

"What's it called?" He asked as he got up walking me to the door.

"Birthday. Goodbye."

"Ari you know you don't have to go. This is your home too."

I shook my head. "This house is far from a home." He nodded looking me in the eyes. He kissed my lips as if they were going to beak. A tear escaped as he held my waste.

He pulled away and stared at me. "Be safe. I love you."

I nodded. "Happy birthday Donald."

And with that I walked back to my car.

------
Excuse any errors.. Next chapter it'll fast forward to 2000.