Dannek sighed, dropping his head down again. “If I do this for you…” He began.

“If you do this for me, I would be indebted to you for the rest of eternity.” Riley grinned. It seemed as though Dannek was giving in. He was going to bind them both anyway, whether they liked it or not. It had nothing to do with Zyrah and Nasci. In fact, he’d planted the idea in their heads before they could think of it. He wanted these two safe, no matter what.

“Fine then.” Dannek grumbled.

“Thank you.” Riley whispered, relieved.

The beast pushed up on all fours, took two running steps and bounded off into the darkness.

Riley resumed his position on the grass. He knew his father had been listening. He could sense him on the far side of the perimeter.

“You disagree?” He asked him.

A whisper of air brought Obsidian to him. “No.”

“I didn’t think you would.” Riley told him quietly.

“You’re different somehow…what changed in you?” He sat down beside him, knees up, balancing on his hands.

“Everything.” He replied flatly. He didn’t tell anyone about the dream. He remembered it clearly a little while ago, but he wasn’t allowed to share it. He’d been sworn to secrecy.

“Will you explain?” Obsidian asked, his gaze skimming across the water.

Riley sighed and turned his head to face his father. He knew he couldn’t, but to appease him, he tried. The conversation this time was a silent one.

‘You may not understand.’

‘I’ll give it my best shot Riley.’

‘I have this feeling inside of me from this morning. A feeling of completion, acceptance. Like the puzzle is solved. My mind and body are no longer strangers to each other. I am Natures Balance…’

‘I know that already. Why do you keep saying that?’ Obsidian asked him.

‘You know it, but you don’t get it. I am the balance…’

Obsidian looked puzzled. He said it again, but he couldn’t quite grasp the meaning behind the words. ‘What happened to you last night?’

‘I had a dream, or an awakening, if you want to call it that. It was similar to the last time out I had.’

You’re right, I don’t get it. Nothing like this has ever happened before, not to another breed. With you, we all seem to be walking blind. The Seer wouldn’t even tell us more.’ Just when he thought they had an idea of what was going on, something would jump out and bite them in the ass. He wanted to help his son any way he could, but Riley’s new persona was starting to scare him. He refocused on the words he was saying trying his best to decipher it.

‘Everything has a cycle, a way to right the wrongs, sunlight after the storm and so on.’

Obsidian just nodded, uncertain of what would come next.

‘I’m just the Shield, dad. I’m fallible, not indestructible like everyone is led to believe.’

Obsidian thought about it for a long moment not saying anything.

‘Are you afraid to die, or afraid to fail?’ He asked eventually. It wasn’t much, but if he could just understand this once…

‘That’s just it. I’m neither. Worried, yes. For you, Storm, my friends, those strangers out there. But not afraid. Not to die. I will not lose.’ He said with absolute conviction.

Riley’s tone of voice twisted Obsidian’s stomach into knots. He turned his full attention to his son, straightening his long legs before him.

“There’s something you’re keeping from me. As much as you think it makes things easier, it doesn’t. Not for me.”

Riley sat up, folding his hands over his knees. “It doesn’t for me either, dad. Remember what the Elder said the other day? What he meant was…” He paused, closed his eyes and shook his head. “I…I can’t say any more than this. They won’t let me.” Riley kept his gaze averted, perplexing his father even more.

“Who won’t let you? The Elders?”

“No. The Innocents.”

“Opal?” He breathed.

“Not quite.”

“What do you know Riley? What aren’t you telling me?” Obsidian asked, shaken now.

“I’m sorry dad. You’ll just have to trust me. You will all be fine…if you don’t fight me on this.”

“Did they make you promise something to them? Give something up?” He jumped up and started pacing, his thoughts in a jumble, thinking the worst already.

“Relax dad. It’s not that bad.” Riley was suddenly behind him, his aura calming when he didn’t want to feel calm.

“I won’t, unless you tell me.” He stopped and faced him, searching his eyes for a hint, for anything. He was sorely disappointed.

“I can’t…Sorry.” Riley’s eyes darkened. “Please don’t beg. Don’t make it harder than it already is. Sorry…

Before Obsidian could ask what he meant, Riley had vanished leaving a cool rush of air behind him. The words played over in his head like a jackhammer. ‘Opal!’ He called desperately. ‘Please…’

The trees whispered amongst each other in the dark and the sleepy flowers swayed gently in answer. A wisp of air brushed by his ear ever so gently, giving him a small inkling of hope. ‘Trust him. All will be well. He does this for all our kinds. He’s not just our son, my love. He is so much more…’