Chapter 16

Riley:

Giant alien plants grew tall and wide, in a multitude of colours and scents, all beautiful in their own strange way. Riley turned around in a slow circle, taking in the forest like area around him. Blue, green, and orange flowers with gigantic yellow and red bulbs falling from their centers swayed in a gentle breeze. Their heads swung to each other, back and forth in a whisper. Around them, vines crept silently up and down enormous trees, so high they almost looked like they reached the sky.

Zyrah was already trudging through a well trodden path, with Ankh’a and Nasci flowing closely. Obsidian came through the portal, which swiftly shrunk behind him. He grinned at Riley’s reaction. “Beauty like this needs to be preserved for future generations.” He told him smiling. “Thank you for accepting me, son.” He gently ruffled Riley’s hair.

Riley looked pleased. “Right back at you, dad.” He grinned. Whatever time they had left together, and he knew it wouldn’t be much; he was going to make the best of it. He silently hoped that when all this was over, that his father will be able to take these memories and hold them close, like he would do if he survived.

Obsidian swallowed past the lump in his throat and hugged him tightly, then turned down the path and called for Nasci.

Storm nudged him from behind and smiled proudly. “Welcome to my home.”

When he turned to her, his eyes widened in surprise. Her true form was truly a sight to behold. Long slim fingers curled around his uncertainly. Her eyes weren’t the same ochre shade he’d become so accustomed to. They were now violet and catlike in shape. No longer were her pupils round. There was an indigo line running through it horizontally which widened and shrunk as she watched his reaction. Her skin was almost ethereal, pale lavender and glowing with life. Her midnight hair hung down her back in layers of curls, nestling between a pair of transparent butterfly wings in a dark pink and dusky blue. They were fluttering gently behind her, nervously, he realized, as she waited for him to speak.

“You’re gorgeous.” He whispered, pulling her close. Her skin was like satin and silk, and she shivered as he ran a hand along her arm encircling her. Her scent overpowered him. He closed his eyes letting it take over him, savoring the feeling it gave him.

Someone cleared their throat roughly. Storm started, slowly pulling away from him, her cheeks flushing when she saw Dannek.

“I’d tell you to get a room, but we’re in the middle of the woods.” He told them laughing. “And, we need to get going before your parents come back to find us.”

Walking along the path hand in hand with Dannek beside them, Riley couldn’t hide his awe at their surreal surroundings. The path stretched on, the foreign foliage getting more unusual as they drew further in. Dannek shifted to tiger, looking like a regal prince amidst the painted forest, while he trotted along happily on all fours.

He nudged the two of them with his cold nose as they stopped to look into each other’s eyes again.

“Riley and Storm, sitting in a tree, k.i.s.s.i.n.g.” He lisped, giving them a catty grin when they shook their heads and moved along. Ahead of them, the adults had stopped in what looked like a clearing.

Storm covered his eyes before they reached them. “I have a surprise for you.”

She slowly removed her hands and Riley froze. There was a milky white waterfall that started midair and rushed in a frothy gurgle to the bottom of a crystal clear lake. The water was still, except for a small ripple where the two met. Smooth flat rocks formed a complicated pile, starting from the smallest and going up to the largest at the edge of the pool of water while some larger rock formations rose up at the center.