Fourteen

Normani

I sat in a small room, a few dim lamps making me feel even more uncomfortable as the smell of chemicals filled the room. The walls were painted a light brown, unlike the white exterior and interior of the building. Everything here was a bleh color. There was no liveliness to the style and I knew why.

This wasn't a place people wanted to be, and it certainly wasn't a place people with loved ones wanted to be either.

It had been two hours and now the sun was setting, reflecting off of the ocean water as the light started to disappear like a candle flickering before going out. The doctors had told me to wait here and that was what I was doing and so was the family across from me.

Clara Jauregui had both of her children pulled to her sides on the couch, each of them just staring into blank space as she comforted each of them. Her eyes were dark with sorrow as we awaited the results as to what had happened to Lauren.

Lauren's father was in Europe on a business trip, leaving her mother to try and handle everything by herself.

It seemed like we had been waiting for days as nurses walked by and we hoped one of them would be the one come in and tell us Lauren was okay.

The images of the ambulance blaring down the street from the window were still aching in my head, and the feeling of crying while they took her from my arms kept trying to bubble up to the surface. I didn't know what had happened but I knew something wasn't right. I figured it was a concussion because she had said she had fell and hit her head at the restaurant.

But why wouldn't she have felt the pain then? I had no idea.

"I'm gonna go get us some dinner," Chris spoke quietly, getting up and leaving without another word. Clara didn't even try to stop him as he disappeared from sight, probably not wanting to be in the hospital either. I wanted to leave but I was going to wait for Lauren because I needed to be here to make sure she was okay.

"Normani, come here," Clara spoke and patted the spot next to her where Chris was. I stood up and took the seat, leaning against Lauren's mom. "It's going to be okay sweetie," she comforted and kissed my forehead as if I was one of her own.

My parents weren't here yet. I had called them an hour ago but my dad was still at work and my didn't pick up. They were supposed to be here any time now.

"I'm so sorry. I should've done something before," I whispered, tears trickling down my cheeks.

"You didn't know, Normani. There's nothing you could've done."

"It sure doesn't feel that way." I started to cry harder as I struggled to take deep breaths and Clara rubbed my back. I felt Taylor's hand grab mine as she stayed silent, still staring into blank space. "She just got so angry. I should've know.  She never gets angry over stuff like that. She was acting different and I should've taken her to the hospital as soon as I noticed it. I could've prevented this."

"Shh, it's okay. She's going to be okay," she whispered, still running her hand up and down my back to soothe me as I cried. I felt terrible.

Then, a voice I didn't recognize spoke and I lifted my head to see a doctor. "I'm sorry to interrupt but we have good news. Lauren is going to be okay. Please come with me."