Chapter twenty: Soul Society arc

Leaving Byakuya was one of the hardest things I had to do but I didn’t have a choice. I now lived as Akari again, with my zanpakuto at my side and my mask and hood.

Aizen looked at me calmly. Tosen stood beside him. Gin sat beside me and grinned at me.

“Akari, we must inform you of a plan. As you know, we have planned to betray Soul Society. Rukia Kuchiki will be brought back to Soul Society with the Hogyoku, concealed within her body. She will be executed this morning. You will go with Gin to see her.”

I gazed at Aizen’s fake impaled body, hung up on the wall. He was covered with blood, and the sight was horrific. Momo Hinamori, a young girl, spots Gin and lunges at him with rage. As she was about to hit him, Izuru Kira intercepts her attack. I suddenly remembered him from his shingami days, and realised that he was the lieutenant under Gin. I remember telling Gin to choose him as a lieutenant.  

Hinamori suddenly released her zanpakuto and fires an energy blast at Gin. I watched it harmlessly curve away from Gin. Kira then released his zanpakuto, attempting to stop her. He swung his zanpakuto at Hinamori and their swords clashed. Toshiro then appeared, stopping them both. I watched him in his captain’s haori. He turned out to be tenth division’s captain as I predicted.

Toshiro arrested both of them. After they were taken away, Toshiro turns to Gin.

“You were preparing to kill Momo,” Toshiro told him.

“No I wasn’t,” Gin calmly denied.

“If even one drop of Momo’s blood should be shed on your account, you will be killed,” Toshiro threatened.

After he left, we made our way to the cell to release Izuru. As Izuru steps out, Toshiro appeared suspicious.

“What are you planning to do?” Toshiro asked us. Momo arose, thinking that Toshiro was the one who murdered Aizen. She tries to kill him by drawing her sword.  She gripped it so tightly, that blood was oozing out from her hands. Toshiro released his zanpakuto and attacks Gin.

“Get out of the way, Kira,” Toshiro warned. I flash-stepped away.

Gin drew his sword and blocked Toshiro’s attack. They swung their swords at each other. I didn’t do anything as I was ordered not to before. Toshiro freezes Gin’ left arm. Surprisingly, Gin opens his eyes and dropped his usual grin. I flash-stepped to Hinamori and kicked her from behind. I was attempting to kill her to act as a distraction. I punched her hard and she was flung into the wall, breaking it. Gin then endeavoured to finish her off but his attack was blocked by Rangiku.

“I’ll fight you, if you don’t stop,” she threatened.

Gin turned his head towards me and nodded and both of us disappeared without another word.

We appeared before a tied up Rukia on the Sokyoku Hill. She glanced at me and then at Gin.