Day 10

Day 10

Takoda is growing weaker, I can see the way his walking has faltered and how his neck can barely hold up his head. His cough hasn't improved, his dark skin growing pale. I wish to help him; I know he has to stop walking. He has to rest; but that is not allowed. I will not allow him to stray from course.

There cannot be much walking left.

This night, I make us a small fire and serve Takoda trout, which I fetched from the river. My brother eats every bite of his food, and I know he is still hungry. He has lost so much weight over the last month, I can see his ribs and nearly count them from afar.

I look around at the many small camps set up, my people huddling close to their fires as they scarf down whatever food they managed to scrounge up. Horses are loose from their carriages, tied up to a tree as they graze and rest.

Someone approaches, sitting down beside me. I gulp in fear before I turn my head to see the blue eyed soldier. He ducks his head down, whispering under his breath as he passes me a bag. "Here is food. For you and your brother."

I feel my stomach flutter with gratitude as I meet the soldier's eyes. He offers a small smile before he rises to his feet and leaves my small encampment.