Chapter 18

The Doctor followed me into the TARDIS after a moment. What he was doing out there alone, I didn’t know. I’d give anything to catch a glimpse at what he was thinking. Was he guilty for forcing me into leaving Sexton? Was he regretting my choice? Was he angry with me for reacting the way I did? Sure, I regretted punching him, but not the reason why. He wanted to save my life, I understood that, but if he can’t let me make my own decisions, then I couldn’t accept that, no matter how extraordinary he was.

I was still torn up about the whole situation. In my heart I knew that The Doctor only did what he did to protect me, and I knew I was being selfish, expectin anything less, but a part of me couldn't help feeling betrayed. I've always been the kind of person to give myself up for others, at least in my mind anyways, and to have that choice stolen from me hurt like a knife in my back. 

Neither of us knew what to say. I didn’t want to go home, but I didn’t want to stay in the graveyard either. I wanted him to make the first move and decide where to go. This whole confusion really messed with my mind and I wasn’t sure what I wanted from him. Did I still want to travel with The Doctor? Honestly, I wasn’t so sure.

This whole thing wasn’t his fault, though. He saved my life back there. Yes, he was forceful and pushy, he made me sacrifice a friend to save myself, something I didn’t want to do, and locked me inside the TARDIS, but he did all of this to protect me. How could I be mad at someone who saved my life?

While all of this was running through my mind, The Doctor simply stood near the console and stared at the ground. It became obvious that he wasn’t going to say anything pretty fast.

When he continued to stare at the ground silently, occasionally sending me glances when he thought I couldn’t see, I decided to step up.

“I’ve always wanted to see a different planet, you know. Think you could… show me one?” I asked hesitantly, searching his face for any sign of emotion.

He smiled shyly; small at first, but soon became more excited. He clapped his hands and pointed at me.

“Right, well, where do you want to go? Stupid question, you don’t know any cool planets. Hum, well, I’m not sure. Ah, great idea. Yes, let’s go there.” He ranted to himself for a few seconds or so while I stared at him blankly.

“Violet Grace,” he started with a wicked grin. “Hold on tight.”

I was prepared this time, holding the bar tightly. When the rattling came, I held on tight and laughed. The experience was so much more enjoyable when you weren’t falling on your ass.

When we landed, I hopped up excitedly and made my way to the door. His voice stopped me, though, before I could step out.

“Violet? Are you going out dressed like that?” The Doctor asked. I looked down, my face heating up. I was still in my pajamas. They were covered in dirt and mud, as well as the rest of my body. I hadn’t changed since WWI.

“Well then, um, do you have clothes?” I asked, upset at being so unprepared. The Doctor just grinned that silly, mad grin I'd grown to love. 

“In the back, turn left then right then right and it’s the second room on the left side. Wear whatever you want from any era. The people here don’t care much for fashion.” I nodded, but I was a bit confused. Okay, a lot confused. Still, I wasn’t going to tell him that.

The Doctor always told me that the TARDIS was alive, but I didn’t believe it until then.

I’d been searching everywhere for the wardrobe refusing to go to The Doctor and ask him to show me the way when a light appeared by my feet. It was a red line that traced in front of me and ended at the corner. After following it for a minute, I found myself in front of the wardrobe. When I turned to observe it, though, the light was gone. Perhaps the TARDIS had been listening to my silent pleas.

Inside, I stared up at the room in shock. The ceiling was so high I could scarcely believe it fit inside the small box if I hadn’t been travelling with The Doctor for so long. There really was an entire universe inside this mad little box.

I decided to try something different for clothes. I knew I needed something practical, but the thought of wearing jeans and sneakers on an alien planet seemed so boring. I wanted to stand out. I wanted to be remembered.

When I stepped back into the main control room, The Doctor was reading a book intently, his eyebrows scrunched up in concentration. He looked adorable when reading, I must say. When he looked up, though, his entire face changed.

His mouth fell open first, then a blush crept up his neck and he smiled like the idiot I knew and loved. If I thought he looked adorable reading, a bashful Doctor was ten times that.

 "What’s wrong, Doctor?” I asked smugly, crossing my arms across my chest. Well, I did want to get noticed.

I wore a tight black jumpsuit that reminded me of something from a comic book paired with combat boots and a leather jacket. To top it off, I braided my hair down the back and applied some dark makeup to my eyes. This was not remotely my style, but it felt liberating to dress like a character from a book. I felt strong and confident, and that made it all worth it: that and the adorable blush on The Doctor’s face.

“I-uh-nothing. You ready?” He asked, stumbling over his words. I nodded and walked past him, enjoying the feeling of his eyes glued on me the whole time when he thought I couldn’t see him. 

A/N Heehee cheeky Doctor for you, enjoy :) Please vote and comment because I love you all and I'd really like to hear your opinions :D