Chapter 6

Violet's P.O.V.

Consciousness returned to me. I’m not sure when it was that I fell into the darkness, but eventually the pain knocked me out.

When I woke up, I wasn’t in the testing room. I was in a cell, the same one we fell into, looking at The Doctor’s back. He was pacing in front of the door, muttering to himself.

“Stupid, stupid, stupid. A giant hole in the ground, what do I do? Jump in. Oh, and let’s bring a friend too. Sure, it’s dangerous, but who cares? Right? I’m such an idiot. I let them take her away after I promised to protect her, then they bring her back unconscious. I can’t do this again. I can’t get attached. When we get out of this, I’m taking her home. Yes, it’s right. I have to. Damn it, this it hard. I’m such an idiot.”

I closed my eyes, trying to hold back the conflicting emotions raging inside of me. A part of me, the cowardly part, wanted nothing more than to run home, hide away and forget that I ever met this crazy man. The rest of me wanted to change his mind and prove that I should stay with him.

“You aren’t that stupid. Only a bit.” I said, my voice cracked and rough from screaming. The Doctor stopped pacing and faced me slowly.

Without a warning, he charged over to my side of the cell and threw me into his arms. I froze up briefly before clutching to him like a lifeline. More tears, tears that I had suppressed, fell from my eyes and soaked into his shirt.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, Violet.” He whispered, shaking with relief. I shook my head, tightening my grip on him

“It’s okay. I’m okay. We’re okay.” I mumbled, pulling back from the embrace to look at him. He grinned, that mad grin that I’d grown to love.

“Shouldn’t I be the one encouraging you?” he asked. I laughed, enjoying the feeling of genuine happiness after the hours of pain I’d endured.  

 “Yeah, but you’re an idiot.” I replied, taking his hand. He scoffed, but I could see his smile beneath the fake hurt.

“I thought you just said I wasn’t that stupid?” he questioned, squeezing my hand. I bit my lip, staring up into his beautiful green eyes.

“I’d just woken up from a deep sleep. I was delusional. Cut me some slack. People say stupid things when they’re groggy.” He chuckled, and it rang like music in my ears. He had a great laugh.

“Ah, I see, well, I’ll have you know,” he started, but whatever he was about to say was cut off by the sound of heavy footsteps. They stopped my heart for a second, then sent it beating so fast I was sure it would burst from my chest.

The cyber men had returned.

“The female is a match. She will be assimilated.” They said together at the same time, causing my breath to catch in my throat.

Instead of cowering in fear beside The Doctor, though, I stood up and faced them. If I couldn’t fight them, the only thing I could do was outsmart them.

“Oi, cyber men!” I shouted. They stopped their advance and looked at me. Staring into their metal faces was extremely unnerving. 

“Listen up. You said I was incorrect. How can you ‘assimilate’ someone who’s incorrect?” I asked. Silence fell amongst them. That question seemed to stump them.

“You are incorrect.” They said. I took a shaky breath and looked at The Doctor for support. He nodded, and I faced them again.

“Yes, I’m incorrect. I’m not from this time. Wouldn’t it make sense for you to wait until I’m correct until you assimilate me?” I asked, trying my best to sound as intelligent as I felt.

It worked.

The cyber men gathered in a circle and spoke to each other. I winked at the doctor, facing them once more.

“The female is incorrect. She will be assimilated when she is correct. Time- one year.” The lead one said.

After this, they all turned around and marched out of the room and down the hallway. 

A/N Okay, for anyone who is actually reading this story, I'd like to say thank you. It means a lot to have readers, even if it's only a few. I'm sorry that this chapter is short but the next one will be longer, I promise. Vote, comment and share pweeaase :)