s p e c i a l • c h a p t e r

FEBRUARY 1979
BRITISH AND IRISH QUIDDITCH LEAGUE CUP

"VALENTINE, WATCH YOUR BLOODY HEAD!"

Catherine could hear James all the way in the stands. She yelped, angling her broom downwards as she whizzed away from the bludger that had zoomed across the air, only to be smacked away from the team's Beater. She let out a puff of breath, fog escaping her lips from the cold weather as an irritated look passed her face.

They were a few points behind and Catherine was now surging up to the sky, her eyes briefly glancing at the blanket of stars coating the velvety night sky. She shook her head, now was not the time to be admiring the heavens.

This was her first big game in the British and Irish Quidditch League Cup as Puddlemere United's Seeker. Her father, Edward Valentine, had retired from his position as Beater and was now standing next to the rest of her family in the stands. Both he and James were yelling out encouraging words to her. Save for James's extra side comments to the opposing team which weren't that friendly.

The score was a never-ending race. Their team would be points higher, then the other team would snag more points, then it'd go back to their team. The only way to end this would be for one of the Seekers to catch the Snitch.

But the damn thing hasn't shown itself.

Catherine scrunched her nose, resisting the urge to scratch her palm through her thick gloves when something caught her eye. She reached up to hastily adjust her goggles, her jade green eyes snapping over to see a metallic, golden object whizzing through the darkness.

James had opened his mouth to holler at Catherine that he saw what looked like the Snitch, but his wife was several steps ahead of him. Catherine was already speeding towards it with the other team's Seeker eagerly following after her in hopes of catching the Snitch as well. "YES!" He cried out happily as Edward Valentine whooped in enthusiasm, both men slapping their palms against each other for a high-five. It was something they've done in every single game of Catherine.

Catherine grunted in frustration, her eyebrows furrowed as she stretched her arm out for the Snitch. The other Seeker was several feet behind her, his flying was no match for Catherine's speed. She strained to stretch her arm further, hissing out in pain as her muscles cried out. "Fuck this," she swore angrily, gripping the broom tighter as she hoisted herself up to place both feet steadily on her Silver Arrow.

"Hey, sorry I'm late," a new voice breathed out as James turned to see Sirius rushing next to him in the stands. James reached over to greet him by clapping a hand on Sirius's back when the curly-haired boy turned to set his grey eyes on Catherine.

Sirius blinked before blurting, "What the fuck is she doing?"

James, having missed Catherine's recent actions, snapped his gaze to her and he literally felt the tug in his stomach and the way his heart stumbled.

Catherine slowly stretched her arm to the Snitch, taking deep breaths as she inched towards the end of her broomstick. Just a little more. She leaned her weight forward, her fingers deftly closing around the flying metal ball when a Bludger barreled into her arm.

Again.

Catherine cried out in pain, her balance tipping her off her broom as she plummeted downwards. Her eyes were shut tight as her scream ripped raw from her throat when she was caught midair. Her eyes flying open, she looked to see her fellow teammate Samuel Wood. "Thank you," she breathed out in utter relief as the man chuckled in response with a nod at her.