Chapter Four - The Opening Ceremony

Naida's POV

"Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?

I could really use a wish right now."

Airplanes - B.o.B feat. Hayley Williams

I scream as a woman with bright green hair named Silvia attempts to rip out my leg hair. "Naida please, this is the last one!" she pleads but I don't listen to her, I'm too busy trying to prevent her from tearing the wax strip from my leg. Eventually she does get it off, but she gets an earful of my screaming first.

My mentor had warned me for this, but I never thought my prep team would go to such extremes on a twelve year old. They've rid my body completely of hair, except from my head of course. I haven't met my stylist, and I'm hoping they give me someone nice. I also hope that when I meet them, there'll be food like there was last night on the train. We didn't get breakfast this morning as we were up at dawn to get to the Remake Centre, which is where I am now.

"Ok, I think you're ready now." Silvia says with a weak grin. "Wait here and I'll go get Lemon." I nod and wrap a soft white robe around my naked body. I wait patiently, though nervous about meeting my stylist. It's funny that their name is Lemon though.

A young woman walks into the room and I immediately realise why her name is Lemon. Her hair is so blonde, it's almost yellow. Maybe it's been dyed, like Silvia's. She doesn't wear much make-up, but her skin seems to give off a faint silvery light, like she's almost glowing.

"Hello, you must be Naida. I'm Lemon your stylist." She says with a warm smile and a trace of some non-Capitol accent. I think it might be Southern.

I nod and decide that I like her. She makes me feel almost safe, which is good enough for me seeing as I'm about to go compete in the Hunger Games. But first, she has to prepare me for the Opening Ceremonies. That's when we'll get dressed up in elaborate costumes that represent our District and the citizens of the Capitol get their first real look at us.

"Let's sit and talk shall we?" I follow Lemon, to a plush white sofa facing a window, we can see the sun beginning to rise on the horizon and light up the candy coloured buildings of the Capitol. A simple breakfast appears on the table before us. I immediately reach for the drink the call hot chocolate. I tried it on the train last night, while Ella and I watched the world fly by through the window in her room. I slept with her last night, as I had nightmares about the Games and was afraid to sleep on my own. Ella, I wonder how she's going with her stylist.

"You're the one with the older sister going in too aren't you? Isabella, right?" I nod once and sip my hot chocolate. God, it tastes good. "I'm sorry for you." Lemon says quietly and I shrug. "Don't be. We're both going to die anyway."

She looks at me in surprise. "Have some hope, Naida. Perhaps you'll win." I shake my head, "I won't. If Ella dies, I'm not going back home. I'll die in the arena with her." Lemon nods and looks at me with sad eyes.

"Anyway," she says clapping her hands together once. "Let's discuss your outfit for the opening ceremonies!"

I nod and smile, as this is a subject I can handle. That and she's just so ditzy it's almost comical.

But I've always liked clothes, though we can't really afford many back in District Four. But if there's any part of the Games that I like, it's the Opening Ceremonies and the Interviews, when the Tributes dress in wonderful garments.

"Now as I'm sure you know, the Tributes of each district have ta wear something that represents that district's main industry." Lemon says, her golden eyes that match her hair shining with excitement.