Chapter One - The Reading of the Card

DISCLAIMER

I DO NOT OWN ANY CHARACTERS THAT ARE IN THE ACTUAL HUNGER GAMES BOOKS (EG. Finnick Odair). THEY REMAIN THE SOLE PROPERTY OF SUZZANE COLLINS. THANK YOU. 

Chapter One – The Reading of the Card

Isabella’s POV

"You see my anxious heart,

You see what i am feeling,

And when i fall apart,

You are there to hold me."

Hanging On - Britt Nicole

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Raine says squeezing my hand. I sigh, watching as the sun rises steadily on the horizon, lighting up the sky and reflecting off the ocean before us. Indeed, it is beautiful. If only it weren’t a reaping day…

Raine seems to sense my sadness because he wraps his arms around me. “It’ll be okay, Isabella. You won’t be drawn.” I tear my eyes away from the brilliant sunrise to look into his crystal blue eyes. “It’s not me I’m worried about, Raine.”

He sighs, holding me tighter. “It’ll be fine; there are hundreds of names that go into the Reaping.” I nod and attempt to swallow the lump in my throat. “Come on,” I say tugging on his hand. “Don’t want to miss the Reaping now do we?”

The Reaping. God, it sends shivers down my spine. Today we ‘celebrate’ the Hunger Games and the Reaping is the selection for it. The Hunger Games were designed by the leaders of our country Panem years ago, but many have forgotten why. The still teach it in school though, so I know all about the Dark Days and the war against the districts and the Capitol. Apparently, there used to be thirteen districts instead of twelve too. The Games serve as our punishment for rebelling against the Capitol.

The rules of the Hunger Games are simple; kill or be killed. Twenty-four kids ranging from twelve to eighteen, one boy and one girl from each district, are thrown into an outdoor arena and are forced to fight to the death. The last one standing wins.

But this year’s Hunger Games will be more horrific than ever. This is the year of the fourth Quarter Quell, the one-hundredth year anniversary of the Hunger Games. There’s one every twenty-five years, always including some sort of terrible twist for the kids. In the last one, previous victors were made to battle again. That was the year my district’s Finnick Odair won.

Raine and I walk silently back to our houses. It’s a long trek; we both live up on a cliff right above the sea. It’s the poorest part of the district, with the cliff crumbling in places and harsh winds that threaten to tear our poorly built houses apart. On the plus side, it does have an excellent view.

We pass the Victors Village which is a block of houses built for the victors of the Games and see Finnick’s grandson Tidus. Honestly, he looks nothing like his grandfather.  He’s extremely tall and has dark hair and skin. But he’s still hot like Finnick was in his teens. We’re friends, even though he’s rich and I’m poor. He winks at me as we pass, causing me to blush. Apparently he’s a big flirt too.

“I still can’t believe you chose me over him.” Raine mutters. “Well you chose me didn’t you?” I tease. He smiles at me. “That’s because you’re smart and caring. Not to mention, beautiful.” I nearly laugh. What’s beautiful about short wavy brown hair and the trademark blue eyes the whole district has? Nothing, that’s what.

 But I’m not complaining. It’s nice being noticed by someone like Raine, who somewhat stands out in the district. He’s got jet black hair, crystal eyes and he’s really tall. He’s handsome and a good fisher too. Not to mention how caring he is.