Chapter 3: Offline

Start from the beginning

She sighed, resting her cheeks on her hand as she watched the streets pass by. She wondered what thoughts ran through the minds of the people she passed. How many of them lived lives that truly made them happy? A certain boy has once told her he doubted one in ten enjoyed what they did. Then again, he more or less hated humankind so his opinion might have been biased.

They stopped at a light and something caught her eye. Unruly black hair shielding eyes she rarel saw, those damnable headphones, and a white hoody. She pushed the door open and stepped onto the road for a better look. But he was gone.

"Ojousama!" Hayato yelled as he too exited the vehicle. "It's the middle of the road!" His voice barely registered, but it was enough.

Adachi looked past the throng of onlookers, then shook her head. "He wouldn't be here," she muttered. Shaking her head, she flashed a smile at the people they had obstructed, and returned to her seat.

"Are you alright?" Hayato asked as he resumed the drive.

"I'm fine," she said with a reassuring smile.

He knew she was lying but decided not to press the issue. They rode the rest of the way in silence.

The sedan pulled to a stop in front of Shinju High. Hayato stepped down, and opened the door for her.

"Thank you," Adachi said as she stepped out.

"Uwaaah.. Hime is here."

"Look, it's the Archery Princess. As cool as ever."

"Maan, what do you think those supple lips taste like?"

"Baka! No one can touch her. Her father'll end your parent's lives."

Adachi held her head high, ignoring the cooes, and whispers. Three girls walked up to her smiling brightly as they took her schoolbag and archery equipment.

Hayato bowed. "See you after practice ojousama."

"Take care," she said, dismissing his services.

"Yuuuuuumiiii-CHAN!"

Adachi ducked as a silhouette jumped over her and banged her head against the vehicle. "Are you alright?"

Manami Kawaguchi crouched, nursing the bump on her forehead. "Yumi-chan. You're worried about me?"

"Huh? I wasn't talking to you." She pointed at Hayato who had turned pale.

A vein popped on the butler's forehead, as he forced a smile. "Nami-kun. Do you know how hard it is to fix a dent? That hairpin of yours also scratched her. You have any idea how much this'll cost? Whose paycheck do you think this'll come out from? Besides, do you even know what a paycheck is? Why are you alwa..."

Nami grabbed Adachi and ran off, leaving the mumbling butler behind. "When he gets like that, he'll go on forever."

***

Nami set her friend down on her seat, and scoffed at the never-ending mumbles of admiration. "Seems your fanbase is as crazy as ever." She turned to the class and spread out her arms. "Hey gophers! She aint the only girl in here you know?" A fedora appeared in her hands as she posed. "How's that huh? Y'all falling for me yet?"

Graveyard silence.

"Saru."

"It's the monkey."

"Don't know what Hime sees in that monkey."

"It's her beautiful mercy."

The pink haired chimpmunk teared up as she ran to Adachi. "But I heard Fedoras make anything desirable!"