To Forget The Past: XII

It had been five days since Kane told me about his mother. To say I was shocked to hear his story was a major understatement, I was disquieted.

With every word he spoke my breath was taken little by little until I couldn't breathe. He seemed so happy, even the Monday we got back from school after our Saturday game. A smile never left his face and his laugh still barked loudly in the hallways. I still wondered how tired he must have been to put up that front.

"Come on, Everest, please?" I groaned loudly, throwing up my arms lazily.

"I don't want to!" I whined out looking up at Kane, who was currently glaring at me, though I could tell he was trying not to smile.

"Too bad, we're going." I flipped over, putting my face in a pillow and groaned louder.

"Do I have to?" My voice came out muffled as Kane sighed and rolled his eyes, which had been the thousandth time he did so today.

"Yes, you have no choice. Now, stop being a five-year-old." I snapped my head up to Kane, now sitting up in bed. My hair was pushed crazily over half of my face. Kane let out a snort as he started laughing at me, covering his wide-open mouth with his hand.

I scowled at him, trying to calm my hair down, though it wasn't working very well. "Stop laughing, it's not funny," I growled lowly at him. He only laughed more at my whining voice.

"Stop it..." I dragged out, shoving my face into a pillow to hide my horrible bed-head.

Kane barked out a laugh loudly, then stopped and spoke, "You still have to go." I only groaned and threw my body out of the warm bed. Looking at the clock that sat on the wooden table beside me, I read 5:27 pm, and I hadn't gotten out of bed at all today.

"I just wanted to sleep ..." I whispered softly to myself as I got up and threw on actual clothes.

~~~~~~

Kane and I were sitting in the small diner we came to almost two months ago when we first left. People were grouped around a wooden stage that sat in the corner where a microphone stood on a black stand.

A woman-- who looked only in her early twenties--was standing, holding the mic up to her mouth as she sung quite loudly the words to Rise Up by Andra Day. Her voice cracked with each high note, but nevertheless, people sung along with her, holding glasses up in the air.

The room was warm and humid. The smell of beverages swirled together, making it a weird, yet comforting scent. I held onto my left wrist with my right hand wanting to take off my leather jacket, though I fought against it.

Sitting on top of the maroon leather seats, I looked over at Kane, who was gazing his bright green eyes around the room, a small smile imprinted on his face.

An older lady made her way to our table and asked for our orders. I'd never seen her before, she must've been new to this diner. Her slight southern accent sounded like she was getting used to American accents.

We ordered our drinks and food as a younger kid jumped onto the stage after the other girl finished her song.

The boy looked not even eleven, with his freckled nose and cheeks. His brown hair hung low to his face, causing him to sweep it over to the side. He reminded me of a younger Isaac.

He stood on the wooden stage, nobody paying any attention to him, except one older woman standing off to the side, watching with a smile on her face; which I'm guessing was his mum.

The boy reached up for the mic, pulling it off of the tall stand and brought the microphone up to his smiling face. I kept my eyes glued on him as he breathed in deeply, closing his eyes as he spoke out the first words of one of my favorite artists.