Am I Beautiful?

She’d always been fragile, and her body had always been like a small porcelain doll.  Tyler and Jacob knew it better than anyone but looking at her thin, pale body lying in this large hospital bed made it so real.

Her hazel green eyes were closed as Tyler sat beside her sick figure.  He looked her over, scared that he’d never see her open her eyes again.  Was this his fault?  Was he the one who pushed her too far?  She was perfect the way she was. Why did he leave?

Suddenly, her head turned against the pillow, leaving a large patch of hair where her head had been laying.  Another bald spot on her scalp.  A soft pain-filled moan escaped her lips and Tyler jumped to grab her skeleton of a hand, whispering a small “it’s okay.” to try to keep her calm.  It didn’t work, because right then her eyes flitted open and panic filled them.  All she saw was Tyler standing over her and memories washed over her like a huge, cold tidal wave. 

“Tyler… what the fuck are you.. why are you here?.. Where..Where’s Jacob?”  Her voice was a hoarse low sound, and tears were forming in her sunken eyes.

“He’s in the cafeteria. Hasn’t eaten or slept since you got here.”  Tyler replied, leaning closer to her.  She could see pain in his eyes, but she didn’t care because she knew all she wanted then was Jacob. 

“Does he know-?” 

“Yes.  He knows.  I have to say, it was hard to convince him to let me in.  I just needed to make sure you’re okay.  I mean.. Isn’t this all my fault?”

“F-Fuck no..  Tyler, please.. I don’t want you here…”

“Koreen, we had the world.. Do you remember?”  He sighed, leaning in and pressing his lips gently to her hand. “Look.. Just, please, Reena, look into my eyes and try to remember how it felt before.  What it felt like in my arms?  Do you remember, my Angel?”

“I..” She looked into his deep blue eyes and expected it to wash over her, but it didn’t.  The memories came, but they were no longer warm and happy.  They were a bittersweet past that made her want to throw up.  “I remember everything, Tyler.  I remember all the good, all the bad…. I also remember that I’ve got Jacob now.”

“What’s become of you, Koreen?”  He raised his voice slightly, standing and pushing himself back.  “Look at you!  Look at your god damn self, look into the god damn mirror.  It’s sick Koreen.  You’re… You’re not even Koreen anymore.  I don’t know who the fuck you are now!”

“I’m skin and bones, aren’t I?”  She couldn’t help but smile at that sentence.   Those words, the ones she admired.

 "Don't say it like that, like it's so great.  I'd describe it bluntly.. More like a fucking skeleton, Re.  A fucking god damn skeleton.”  He said, tears springing to his eyes.

 “Yeah, it’s quite lovely isn’t it?”  She lifted her arm, slowly, reaching to the sky and admiring the bones that were sticking out.

 “It’s not fucking lovely!  Why can’t you eat?  Why can’t you eat for me!?  I can’t lose you!”  He yelled, turning to the window of the dark hospital room. 

“I’m not yours, anyways.”  She whispered, sighing as she ran her bony fingers over her rib cage, counting each one.

“You were, at one point.”  He admired the ground below, three stories up high, he knew he could fly just by stepping out. 

“And?  Now I’m Jacob’s.  I’m his wreck of a girl.  I don’t plan on changing that.  He’s been here before.  Unlike you..  He likes my bones, he’s the one who kisses them goodnight.  He tells me I’m beautiful to him even now..”  She closed her eyes, biting her lip with her browning teeth. 

“Yes, because he loves you.  But do you think he really likes seeing you half dead in a hospital?  If you do, you're losing you're losing more than just weight because he doesn’t.”  Tyler glared down at the concrete.

“He loves me..”  She smiled.  “Wow, a beautiful thing, isn’t it?  He loves me.. How, hm, lovely?  Is that the word?  Oh, yes.  Lovely, that’s it.  I guess it’s more lovely knowing I love him too.” 

“I get that.  Okay, you love him.  Please take that and make it into something better.  You have had a feeding tube stuffed down your throat for the past three fucking days and you aren’t getting better.  You’re fifteen years old and dying.  Do you think he likes looking at it?  You aren’t as beautiful as you once were, and you probably never will be.  Especially if you don’t even try to make yourself bett-” Tyler rolled on, a rant pouring from his mouth but was suddenly cut off.

“I think it’s time you go, Tyler.”  Jacobs voice cut through the air, protective but soft.   A low growl rumbled from his chest and escaped his throat.

“Fine.  Just remember what I said, Koreen.  Bye guys.”  He leaned down to Koreen on his way out, kissing her cheek bone.  “Please, get better.  It’s all up to you.”

“Get… Get off..”  She felt tears boiling up, angry at his nerve.

“Get out. Now, Tyler. You’ve been here long enough.”  Jacob said roughly, watching Tyler slip out of the door and listening for his footsteps until they disappeared completely.

“Am I beautiful?”  Koreen asked, a tear falling down her worn skin as Jacob curled up beside her in the bed.

“You always are, though I hate seeing you like this.  You know I won’t leave.”  He sighed, kissing her forehead.

“I’m not hungry.”  She bit her lip.

“I believe you.”  He sighed.