Chapter Fifty-Six

Pain.

It's like water. It finds a way to push through any seal. There's no way to stop it. Sometimes you have to let yourself sink inside of it before you can learn how to swim to the surface. But as Percy's back slammed against his dorm room wall, tears flowing down his cheeks as he slowly sunk to the floor, arms wrapping around his folded legs and head buried between his knees; he didn't foresee himself swimming to the surface anytime soon. 

And among his stillness, there was a beating heart. 

A beating heart. Percy sighed. As long as his heart was beating, he had to act like he was alive--a functional human being. But who knew that being a functional human being was so damned hard? All Percy wanted to do was bury himself under an invisibility cloak--alone and hidden from the outside world. He had tried to talk to Clara, tried to express his love, tried to make her listen. But Clara Delaunay was having none of it, her teary eyes couldn't even look him in the face.

Heavy footsteps thundered up the stairs and with a loud bang the dorm room door swung open, Oliver Wood appearing in the doorway. His chest was heaving and his hands were clenched in fists at his side. 

"What the bloody hell was that?" He shouted. Percy flinched from his loud voice but didn't bother to look up at him. Percy heard the sound of footsteps against the wooden floor as Oliver walked towards his friend and sat down in front of him. "She didn't give you anytime to talk." Oliver said, resting his hand on Percy's arm. "You should have made her listen, Perce. I'm sure Clara would have listened if you just--"

"She made herself clear, Oliver." Percy said, his cheeks wet with tears. "She's done--we're done. And there's nothing I can do about it. Penny did this--"

"Don't  bring Penny into this, Percy." Oliver snapped. Percy looked up at Oliver, fire in his blue eyes. He didn't understand why Oliver was so protected over Penny, he barely knew her. 

"Don't bring Penny into this? Don't bring Penny into this?!" Percy shouted. "This is all her fault!" Oliver didn't even flinch at the sudden rise in Percy's voice, like he expected it. 

"It'll be okay, Percy. Just give it time." Oliver said calmly. 

"Everyone keeps telling me that time heals all wounds," Percy said, his chest heaving. "but no one can tell me what I'm supposed to do right now. Right now I can't sleep. It's right now that I can't eat. Exams start this coming Monday and right now I still hear her voice and sense her presence like we're still together and nothing has ever changed. I miss her. And right now all I seem to do is cry. I know all about time and wounds healing, but even if I had all the time in the world, I still don't know what to do with all this hurt right now." 

"You're being ridiculous." Oliver said. Percy shook his head.

"This is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I didn't want relationships getting in the way of my studies and here I am, crying over a beautiful angel I let slip through my fingers with exams only six days away. I can't even focus in my classes!" Percy sobbed. "It's Tuesday, and I haven't got any studying done. I don't even know what's happening in Defense Against the Dark Arts and Charms because I've spent those past two classes worrying about Clara--sitting beside me." 

"Then move places?" Oliver suggested. "Or stop being a pathetic bloke and get over her." Percy shook his head, fiddling with the silver ring on his finger.

"That's not possible." Percy whispered. Oliver rolled his eyes, getting to his feet and glaring down at Percy. 

"I'm leaving now. I've got a few things to sort out myself, and if I come back and you're still sitting here pouting like a dog, I'll kick you in the arse." Oliver growled, but Percy did not move. "Stand up." Oliver said firmly.