Chapter 1: Fed-Case

A month after the incident in the UK....

Ben was having an afternoon nap on the couch at home. He was still recovering from his injuries and was enjoying his time off. There were only a few weeks to Christmas and Ben was hoping he'd get some shopping done for the family during his recovery time. He'd nodded off watching the Flyers take on the LA Kings on TV. Ben suddenly sat up fast, It was a reflex he obtained much like a cop that pulls his gun out from under his pillow; it usually came into effect when his instincts told him that someone is in the house. Ben grasped his shoulder in pain; the jolt from sitting up fast irritated his injury.

"You know you shouldn't sleep on the couch with the condition your shoulder is in," explained a voice.

Ben noticed Wolf standing in the doorway.

"Wolf...what are you doing here?" asked Ben with confusion, "you should be resting, a month ago you were impaled on rebar."

Ben made some room on the couch for Wolf.

"Ben...I understand that we only briefly spoke about you leaving the force...I just need to know where I stand in this," explained Wolf as he sat down.

Ben sighed and turned the TV off.

"When the paramedics told me that you were dead...I felt so guilty, my issues got in the way of our partnership and caused us to be unfocused with one another...for that I'm deeply sorry Wolf. As for where you stand? By my side would be nice...When Marcus had me off the ground and by the throat I began to realize that I can't work alone....I need my partner by my side," replied Ben as he offered a hand shake.

Wolf shook Ben's hand and smiled,

"I'm glad partner because Hunt wants to see us at the L.A field office," added Wolf.

Ben stood up and searched for his gun holster,

"Why?" asked Ben with confusion, "We're not Feds?"

Wolf shrugged his shoulders and handed Ben his Glock,

"Forgetting something?" asked Wolf, "I don't know Hunt just told me to grab you and get down to the office."

Ben frowned at him then they both headed for the door.

------

Federal Bureau of Investigation,

Los Angeles Field Office....

Once Ben and Wolf arrived at the FBI building, they walked up to the front desk to get their visitor badges and find out what floor they could find Hunt. They then took the elevator up to the floor Hunt was on and as soon as the doors opened Ben and Wolf couldn't believe the chaotic mess. It looked like someone had struck the hornet's nest. Agents were frantically running back and forth, dozens of phones were ringing and Hunts voice had reached yelling point. They walked over to Hunt's office only to follow him out to the briefing room.

They followed Hunt to the briefing room; Hunt came in last, closed the door and let out a very long frustrated sigh. Ben and Wolf sat down and waited for Hunt to speak.

"Thank fuck you guys are here," Nathan said finally as he handed Ben and Wolf both a file, "This case is sending the whole bureau insane. You may have heard about a series of double homicides in the California state area."

Ben and Wolf nodded and took the files from Nathan.

"Yeah, the killer kills couples and stages them out on the front lawn. It's been all over the papers," replied Wolf, "what about it?"