Clouded Vision, Chpt 4

Start from the beginning

"Can we put her out of her misery?" the man asked.

Vince shrugged his shoulders. "She's too far gone to feel any pain. But I can do it if you wish."

"No, no. "The man backtracked swiftly. "Just...as long as she doesn't feel it."

Eve scooted over to the man and put her arm around him. "I'm sorry Jarren." She whispered. 'It's a terrible loss, but she died standing up for her beliefs."

Vincent fidgeted uncomfortably, worried that the man, Jarren, would blame him for the death.

Jarren's eyes met Vincent's. His eyes were tortured, fell of agony as if he was the one dying. "Do you know how she died?" he croaked.

"Yes." Vincent's throat was tight. "I'm sorry."

Jarren nodded. "You're part of this pack now." He declared softly.

Eve frowned. "You know you can't do that." She told him. "Only Adair can."

"My wife sacrificed herself to him." Jarren retorted sharply. "That should be more than qualifying."

Two others suddenly appeared from the woods to join them. Vincent blinked in surprise.

"I agree." A male hissed. "We already had a vote. If it wasn't for Adait, he-"the male nodded toward Vince, "-would be in the pack. He killed one of our own without reason. He isn't a fit leader."

"Adair protects us, keeps us safe." Eve argued.

"Are you siding with him?" Jarren cried, astonished.

"Of course not!" Eve snarled. "But whether or not he's a fair leader, we need him."

"How so." A female retorted sourly.

Eve snorted. "You know how. It's because of him we aren't dead right now!"

"Doesn't matter. We can elect a new leader. He's unacceptable."

"Shall we do this now?" someone asked.

"Of course." Jarren insisted. "My wife isn't going to live much longer. I want her to see she isn't going to die in vain."

Eve frowned, but didn't speak out. The male turned to Vince.

"By the way, my name is Devin."

"Vincent." He grunted.

Devin chuckled. "Confusing time huh?"

Vince smiled, but didn't reply.

Jarren, fear taking place over fighting spirit, clutched Elana's head and rocked her, whispering.

Vince touched her arm sadly. "I don't understand." He said. "How can all this trouble be about me?"

Devin barked a laugh. "This pack has been in chaos since you flew into town."

"How?"

"When you came here it opened a lot of issues. It made us realize how little of us there are left, and our pack could easily

be slaughtered. Not to mention we saw a side of our leader we didn't like. Most of us wanted to let you join. You were living our worst fear. And when Adair messed with you..."

Vince shuddered.

"He's horrid for doing that to you. " Eve spat. The group nodded in unison. Vince shrank in embarrassment.

"Eve shook Adair quite a bit when he found out she was spending all her time with you. When he forced her to not see you

anymore, she was trying to convince the pack to stand up against Adair to let you join."

"We've been arguing ever since. "Elana just took it a little further than most, declaring Adair was a bad leader."

"And this happened." Vince muttered, motioning to Elana.

Jarren wept. Adair walked out of the bushes, looking strained, but acting confident. He sat on a rock across the clearing

and watched them intently.

"Do you think he knows?" Devin wondered.

"He's stupid to think he won't be challenged for this, but whether he knows he'll be dethroned, I haven't the slightest idea."

Eve answered.

Vince regarded Adair curiously, wondering how his presence would affect Adair. Adair did nothing but stare at him with

cold, calculating eyes.

"She's dead." Jarren whispered mournfully. "She's gone." Eve grabbed Jarren's hand.

"You killed her you bastard!" Jarren screamed to Adair at the top of his lungs. "You killed her!"

Adair stood and strolled to the group, with step that seemed to last a lifetime. When he reached Elana, he crouched over

her, closed her eyes, and whispered, "I'm sorry. I truly am." His tone was filled with pain and remorse. Even Jarren was too shocked

to object.

"Will you bury her?" he asked.

"You won't be there to see it." Jarren growled.

"I want to be there with you." He waited, but Jarren simply stared at him with murderous eyes. "Fine. Do as you wish." Adair finally relented.

Adair turned to leave so that his back was facing Vincent, and said pointedly at him. "You must do now." There was a pause. "I appreciate that you tried to help, I do, but now it's time for you to leave."

Vince stared at Adair, unable to respond.

Devin stepped forward growling. "He's staying." There was finality to his voice.

"No." Adair turned around. "He's not."

Eve stepped forward and took Vince's hand. "He's suffered enough. "Eve told Adair. "He's already part of the pack."

Vincent looked back and forth to the people he could only describe as his comrades in surprise. Devin winked at him; Eve

smiled.

Jarren and two other females came forward as well to stand beside Vince.

Adair bared his teeth. "You want to do this now?" he asked.

There was no answer. "Fine!" Adair snarled. He jumped to Vincent as wolf and tore into him. Vince yelped. The others

changed as well and jumped in. It was a flying ball of fur. Adair jumped back from the pack snarling. He stared at Vince, conveying his

message.

Vince stepped forward, accepting. If he wanted to be a part of a pack, he had to earn it.