Clouded Vision, Chpt 4

When the moon left and the sun replaced it Vincent regained consciousness. He groaned with a terrible headache, and put his clothes back on in a half awake state. Then his eyes snapped open and his mind leapt into awareness as his foot kicked soft flesh. He suddenly realized that he was back in the alley ways in town and cursed. Then he looked at the thing his foot hit and drew back. It was a body. Vincent bit his bottom lip, turned the body with his foot, and sighed with relief. It was Eve, and her chest was rising and falling peacefully. She was alive. Vince crouched on the ground and gently shook Eve's shoulder. "Eve," he called. "Eve, wake up."

Eve sighed, shifted a bit, and her eyes fluttered open. Vince smiled. Eve frowned. "How did I get here?" she asked.

Vince shrugged his shoulders. "I don't remember; full moon wipes my memory, save for a few flashes."

Eve gasped her eyes wide and afraid. "Adair attacked her!" Eve gasped. "Please, you need to help!"

Vince blinked, and changed in an instant. Want to lead me? He asked her.

Eve's jaw dropped. "What the hell are you thinking?" she hissed. "You could get killed!"

Vince simply repeated the message. This wasn't a time to worry about personal safety. Besides, it was almost dawn. He highly doubted anyone would be on the streets this early. Eve nodded, changed as well and took off with Vince following.

Why did Adair attack her? He asked.

We were having a discussion last night. Eve answered. We were discussing you. I was trying to convince Adair to change his mind and let you join. The female, Elana, agreed with me and challenged him. He attacked her in response. This is all my fault

Adair really hates me.

Eve nodded. You're his match in strength. He's never had that before. There was a pause. Can you help Elana?

Vince licked his lips. Maybe. But we might be too late already.

Eve sighed. I know. I meant to reach you sooner, but I changed before I could tell you. But she's a werewolf. She could hold up until we reach her.

Your pack doesn't have a doctor? Vince asked.

Eve shook her head. As far as we know, the last werewolf doctor died years ago.

Vince sighed. A shame.

Do you have any medical knowledge? Eve wanted to know.

Auntie May taught me the basics. She knew that because our bodies were so special we should know how to take care you ourselves.

Eve's eyebrows rose. Auntie May?

She took care of me when I was young.

Coming across the pack's home was an interesting sight. Deep in the forest, there was a barren area surrounded by trees with an enormous house in the middle, with several balconies on the second floor to allow wolves to leave as they pleased. There were two people in the clearing, one lying on the ground with another weeping beside her. Vincent stepped into his other skin, walked to the figure lying on the ground, and crouched next to her. The unmoving figure of Elana was a beautiful creature, with thick flowing black hair and a small slim face. Naturally her eyes were yellow and were staring up at the sky dimly. Her belly was red.

"I'm surprised she's still alive." Vincent murmured.

"Can you save her?" the man laying next Elana asked desperately.

"There's nothing I can do." Vince replied, brushing the hair from Elana's face fondly, eyes tender. "The wound's too deep."

Vince's voice was strangely gently and sad. Eve watched him curiously.