Charles Lee x Reader (not based on true events)

THIS STORY IS GENDER BASED.

"Now, why did you come, (y/n)?" Charles asked, slamming his gun down on the table in his tent. "I was worried! News travels fast. I don't want you to get hurt." You place your hand on his shoulder. He shrugs it off, saying "I'll be fine. I don't need you getting involved." There was a large silence. "Oh really? I'll root for John then." You looked sideways right when Charles looked over his shoulder at you. "You wouldn't." He turned toward you, looking at you straight in the face. "I would." He growled and shoved you away. "I HOPE YOU GET SHOT THEN!" You rushed out of the tent rethinking your words. You looked at your wedding ring. Why were you so foolish, letting him marry you? A patriot was passing by. "Are there any inns around the camp?" You asked the man. "Yes indeed ma'am, I can take you." You thanked him a lot and got on his horse carefully. "Excuse me, " you said, tapping his shoulder, "Aren't you Hercules Mulligan?" He nodded and smiled. You smiled back.

INN

"Thank you so much sir!" You thanked him. "Of course, have a good night miss." You waved him goodbye. You rushed into the inn, cold from the night's blistering air. "A room for one please!" You told the innkeeper. He led you to your room. It was a decent room, with a vanity, bed, dresser and a woven rug. You set your case and shawl on the bed. "Oh no.." you ran outside as fast you could. You puked outside where no one could see. You have been sick since last week. You knew why, but don't want to tell yet. You went inside, holding your mouth. You went into your room and slipped on your dressing gown. You fell into a quick but cold sleep, because of the emptiness of the bed.

DAY OF THE DUEL

You sat, pondering your decisions in front of the vanity. You tried writing a letter to Charles, but it didn't feel right. You tried telling him sorry, and why you're sick. It all came out choppy and messy. You rubbed your forehead and sighed. A knock clopped on the door. "Yes?" You yelled. "Miss, the duel is starting. Mr. Lee sent for you." A man said. "I'm NOT going." You said, standing up to look outside. You pulled your shawl over more. The first snow was falling. "Ma'am?.. You're not?" He asked uncertainly. "I am not." You could tell he hesitated because of the squeak of the wood and the sigh. You heard footsteps down the hall. A couple minutes later You grabbed all of your stuff and rushed out the door. You left four coins on the counter and caught Hercules Mulligan outside again. "I need a ride back!" You breathed heavily. "Of course! Are you okay ma'am?" You hopped on, "My husband might get shot, but I'm fine, thanks." His eyes widened as he sped up the horse. A couple minutes later You rushed to the clearing where it was rumored to be. .."1,2,3,4".. Just in time! .."5,6,7".. you rushed out with your hand extended. "WAIIT!!" You were too late. The shot blared and you fell to his side. "CHARLES!" You hugged him, trying to pick him up. "I'm fine.." you stopped and looked at him, glaring. "ok.. I'm not." He passed out. "HELP! MR. BURR, PLEASE!" Burr rushed to his side, horse on rope. "Help me pick him up." He said, you lifted him on the horse. You continued to sob, running after the horse. You couldn't keep up. "Would you like a ride, miss?" General Washington asked. You nodded, blowing your nose in a handkerchief. You mounted the horse and rode to the infirmary. You rushed to the cot where he was sleeping. The doctor was performing a surgery on his arm. You sat in a chair next to his other arm. You held his other hand.

NEXT MORNING IN THE INFIRMARY

You woke up, stretching. You saw Charles eating his bread, and sipping water. You startled him by hugging him. He hugged you back. You both cried. "I'm so sorry about what I said! I never meant it and never will forgive myself!" He brushed your cheek. "It's ok. I never should've shoved you, or yelled at you. I would die for you anyways." You giggled and said "it's just in your arm!" He smiled and said "I'll be home soon enough. After this war is over."  You smiled and stood up, grabbing your things. You started to walk out, when you decided to tell him. "Oh yeah, I'm pregnant and it's yours." He spat out his water. "WHAT!?" You swiftly made your way out of the tent. You heard muffled shouts. "MY WIFE IS PREGNANT?! WHAT?! COME BACK!!" You heard a clatter of things. You smiled to yourself and caught Hercules Mulligan again. "Congrats." He said, smirking. "Thanks." You smiled back and watched the beautiful scenery.

Author's note
This was requested by @ZoeyHopeWilford ! Thank you so much. I loved writing this. Please follow them!
Again, thank you!
hamilpanda