Chapter 4

T. A. 241, Fall

"So, what's our exit strategy exactly?"

"Our what?"

"Oh Valar, we're all going to die! You don't have a plan?"

One might wonder if they were in the midst of a prank and were about to get caught, but infact the trio was surrounded by a pack of orcs. A rather large, immensely smelly, pack of vicious orcs who were intent on killing the three elves. Oh, and they were outnumbered. Ducking and weaving beneath the black blades of the wretched things the trio argued betwixt one another with the false cheer of sibling banter in the middle of a nasty skirmish. They had been in quite a few together now, having been placed on in different patrols around their borders and given missions over the many years. Thennil swung her sword and grimaced as she severed the twisted head from an orcs shoulders, it's body falling to the ground with a sickening thud.

"How do we get into these situations? It's been smooth since we left Lorien, we're not even a two day's march from Imadlris!" Elladan grumbled.

"One hundred some years of sibling-hood and I still don't know, so don't ask!" She yelled to him, disarming another orc and ducking the swing of it's companion in one liquid-like move.

"I second that opinion, we just attract trouble, like bees to flowers!" Elrohir jumped in to the conversation as he slashed his way through to join his two siblings.

Twirling, ducking and weaving the trio was like a well oiled killing machine, they each could read the others and acted accordingly, striking and blocking in an elusive blur of black and copper. They were similar to a small army, with the eldest giving the commands and the twins putting them into action and protecting her back when she stepped outside of their small circle.

"I was hoping that this journey would be quick, Naneth's time is close and I didn't want to be half way across Arda on an errand for Thranduil when it happened."

"I agree, so, lets get a move on, shall we?" Elladan stated, running the last of the orcs through with his sword, pushing it to the ground while wiping his blade on a spot of clean grass.

"Agreed, lets get out of here before some other type of trouble finds us!"

Edge of Imadlris, Two Days Later

"So, what do you think that it will be?"

"I don't know, but I don't think that I can stand having another brother, I already have two as it is," Thennil teased from her seat atop her dappled grey mount, "Don't you think, Talagor?"

The stallion snorted and shook his head, snapping his long mane against his neck in agreement.

"What, are we not charming enough?" Elladan teased.

"No, you just lack the feminine attributes among other things less important," she teased back.

Her brothers made faces, pretending to vomit,"Thank the Valar for that, you females are so strange, blek!"

"Strange? Oh I never saw it like that, I think the word you are looking for runs along the lines of smarter..."

"Whatever, I for one want a brother, someone to teach archery to, and fencing!" Elrohir stated from behind them on his own steed.

"You have me for that, big brother!" Elladan chortled, dropping back to punch his brother playfully.

"Aye," Elrohir rolled is eyes heavenward,"And what a trial you are."

The trio burst into laughter, moving down the steed path into the valley, friendly banter continuing as they went. Their horses, sensing that a warm stable and food was not far away, strained at the reins, chuffing at their riders. Glancing at the other's, Elladan smirked, kicking his black steed, Belroch, and shooting down the path. Shouts of surprise and accusation followed his departure, but the sound of pounding hooves followed soon after, getting louder and louder behind him. Soon, a flash of his brother's bay passed him, sprinting towards the finish line like a shooting star. Urging his horse on, Elladan glanced back to look for his sister, she was gone!