When You First Meet Him

Today is an ordinary day of the Shiganshina district and as usual, there's a hustle and bustle in the market place - where my parents and I shop all the time during weekends.

It may look like an ordinary place to live but unfortunately, we're not safe.

I heard there are creatures called "Titans" and according to my dad - who is part of the Survey Corps - these guys are huge that comes with different height measurements (from 3 meter being the smallest and 10 meter being the tallest) and they are also vicious and attack who ever messes with them. 

I always question my dad what is it like to fight these huge beasts and he only answered: 'Sweetie, you have no idea what your dad is getting into when it comes to fighting titans. I may be a soldier yet I'm sometimes scared deep down. Scared of what would happen to me next...but I'll do my best to serve humanity and to protect you and your mother because I love you both so much'.

And that's pretty much what he said.

But a few weeks after I talked to my dad, I heard from one of his comrades that he died during the expedition. 

I was only nine years old when that happen and it happens to be one of the worst days of my life. 

I lost my own father and my mom was crying desperately with me while she was talking to my dad's comrades.

'Is this true? M-MY HUSBAND IS DEAD?!'

My mom still didn't want to believe it either but sadly its the truth and it pained me to the point that the coolest person that I ever known and loved in my whole life is now gone.

Now that I'm ten years old, I'm still not sure what humanity will come to unfortunately and what it may hold in the future. 

It took my mom and I to move on from my dad's death but thankfully my dad's younger brother - my uncle - cheered us up and told us not that my dad wouldn't want us to be sad forever.

'Don't be like that guys! (Your father's name) won't be too happy to see you sad if he were still here, you know? He didn't die a terrible death but he died with honor to serve his people and to protect his loved ones'

And he's absolutely right about that. My dad is cheerful, hardworking and brave man. I can see why my mom loved him so much.

I just hope that people like my dad won't face death so humanity will have great hope.

As I walked to the through the streets of the district, my eyes stopped to see a blond boy with blue eyes who looked exactly like my age. 

He's sitting by the fountain reading a big book on his hands and he seems to be enjoying it.

'Hey, I recognize him. He's the same blond boy that I helped at the local library last week', I thought to myself as I remembered him, 'Maybe I should talk to him. He seems nice'.

I smiled and walked towards to the blond boy - who is still busy reading his book.

When I finally approached him, I greeted him in a friendly tone.

"Hi there!"

The blond boy gasped upon hearing my voice and when he looked up, his eyes seemed to sparkle.

"O-Oh hello-wait, are you that girl who helped me pick up the books from the library?", said the blond boy with a smile curling into his lips.

I nodded and replied, "Yeah, that's me! Wow, you actually remembered me, hehe".

"Haha, of course! Why would I forget a girl who is nice enough to help me out?", the blond boy said and scratched the back of his neck.

I chuckled and asked, "If you don't mind, may I stay with you? You seemed to be alone again like when you were at the library last week so I thought maybe you need company this time".

I thought he would be taken aback from what I said but actually he smiled again and replied, "S-Sure! That's nice of you to do that! Here, sit here!".

I took his seat and finally got a glimpse of what he's actually reading.

"Oh, you're reading a book about...oceans?", I asked as I looked through the pages.

He nodded and pointed the picture for me, "Yep, this is the ocean and this caught my attention at the local library for a while! I was always think to myself that what's it like outside the walls but searching some books from the library, I found this!".

The way he spoke was filled excitement like he bought candy as his favorite snack or he won a prize at a game.

"According to the book, its made of salt and sodium chloride!", he said as he scanned through the book, "I wonder what it's like".

"Hmm?", I hummed as I looked at him.

"I wonder what it would be like to explore...outside those walls", he said as he pointed at the walls from afar, "Sometimes I wonder what's out there and I feel like I want to see it. Just like how I want to see the ocean".

His eyes sparkle upon speaking about his admiration towards the ocean which I find it very inspiring and somewhat cute.

"Same. I always wondered what it feels like to be out there", I replied to his statement, "My dad went there as a Survey Corp soldier and he said that the outside world is totally different from here".

The blond boy's eyes widened as he heard my reply.

"R-Really? Your dad is a...S-Survey Corp soldier? Woah, that means he gets to go outside the walls whenever they have a planned expedition then!", said the blond boy.

I smiled at him and replied, "Yeah, but too bad he died just last year. If only he could tell me more about the outside world before his life ended in battle".

The blond boy's expression shifted and he looked somewhat sad about it.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm sure he did a great job as a soldier and a father, am I right?", he said and gave me a reassuring smile, "And I think he's up there right now, watching over you with me".

I smiled back and looked at the blue sky covered in fluffy clouds.

"Yeah, you're right", I said and all of a sudden, a thought came to me, "Oh yeah! I almost forgot, how silly of me! Haha!".

I offered him a handshake and introduced myself, "Hi, my name is (Y/N)(L/N)!".

He chuckled and accepted my handshake, "Good to meet you, (Y/N). I'm Armin Arlert. I'm so glad that I made a new friend here in Shiganshina".