Chapter 1: The Murder

It was your typical senior prom. Lots of people in different colored dresses and stiff suits. There was beautiful décor, some punch, and a lot of dancing. There I stood in my dark blue dress with lace, and my blonde hair was done in loose curls. I wore little makeup. I talked to a couple peple, drank some punch, and watched everyone dance. As you can see, I'm not a party person.

Suddenly, it was the moment everyone had been waiting for: the announcement of prom king and queen. I, Johanna Mark, could care less who was crowned prom king and queen, but I still voted for one of my best friends Chase Adams. I don't think I needed to vote though; everybody loves Chase. He got good grades and was captain of the football team. He was so good that he was getting a scholarship to an Ivy League school. And of course, Chase was a handsome fella. His spiky, light brown hair and bright green eyes made every girl wish she could be his girlfriend.

My other friend Jonas came to my side. His dark blue suit went well with his dark brown hair and eyes. "Hi!" I said, "You ready to see who won?"

Jonas chuckled. "I think we both know who the prom king and queen will be." I smiled at Jonas; I knew he was right.

Jonas, Chase, and I were the best of friends. We had grown up together, survived through high school together, and were ready to take on the world together no matter what schools we ended up in. And now Jonas and I stood ready to cheer for Chase as we knew he and his girlfriend would be crowned king and queen.

Soon, our principal Mr. Hansen walked up to the stage, envelope in hand. We listened with rapt attention as he checked if the mike was on. Mr. H. cleared his throat, smoothed the few locks of hair he had left, and smiled at the crowd.

"Good evening, students! I am sure you are all as eager as I am to find out who are this year's prom king and queen!" The crowd erupted with cheers, while I clapped my hands a few times. I was ready to go home and sleep.

Mr. Hansen slowly opened the envelope and grinned as he read the contents. "Well, I don't think you'll be too surprised at who this year's winners are. Chase Adams and Cassidy Taylor are 2017's prom king and queen!"

The room thundered with clapping and cheering, and even I gave a little "Yay!"

Chase and his dark-haired girlfriend walked hand-in-hand up the stage to receive their crowns. I looked closely at Chase. Was it just me, or did he look a little pale? He walked up to the mike to give his thanks, and I noticed beads of sweat on his forehead.

"Thank you to everyone who voted for us," he said. It seemed like it was hard for him to focus. What was going on? Chase continued, " Uh, this really means a lot to me and Cassidy, and...and..." Chase began to look confused, and he started to stumble. Jonas and I looked at each other and began hurrying towards the stage. But by the time we got there, Chase's eyes rolled back, and he fell unconscious.

A/N: Hi, everyone! I am so excited to venture out into this new genre: mystery!!! I hope you all enjoy this story. Please don't be afraid to comment on anything that could use improvement. Also, if you would like to send me a new cover (I know mine could use some work) private message me, and I would love to see it!

'Til next time,

-shalom900