03. "That's all I remember."

Start from the beginning

“Callie.” He nodded quickly. “I’ll be back soon.”

“Sure.” I gave him a small smile and headed upstairs.

After getting ready to go and pick up Ale, I made sure to lock the basement door so mom wouldn’t know that Austin was there. She didn’t like the basement but still. I headed out the door and walked those three blocks to get to Alejandra’s school. She was sitting on bench with her friends.

“Ale!” They all looked up at the same time looking for whoever called my sister. Alejandra’s eyes met mine and she said goodbye to her friends before standing up and making her way over.

“Callie!” She wrapped her arms around my waist, making me smile. “Did you go to school?”

“Yes but I got in trouble and suspended. I’m grounded again.” She let go off me and looked up at me. Her lips turned into a pout and I couldn’t help but frown. “I know Ale. I’m only going out to take you to school and then pick you up when you get out.”

“Mom must be really mad.” I nodded and held her hand as we walked back home. I wondered what Austin must’ve been doing while I was gone. The poor boy didn’t remember what happened. “I have English and Spanish homework.”

“Well, you’ll go to your room and do your work, alright?” She nodded.

Alejandra wasn’t like most kids her age. Most kids would have their parents do homework for them but Alejandra loved doing homework herself. She was very good at every subject except History. She was always complaining why she needed to learn History. I chuckled every time and explained her she would need it for high school.

We talked about her day on the way home. It was the least we could talk about considering I got suspended right before first period. When we got home she excused herself and headed upstairs to do her homework. I made sure she was in her room before heading downstairs to the basement.

“Austin?” I jumped off the last step and found him sitting right where I left him. “Have you been sitting there the whole time?”

“You told me to stay here.” I chuckled and sat down beside him.

“Look, um, I’m not going to say you have to go but at least I need to know if you have a friend or family member to contact. They need to know you’re okay.” He nodded and looked around the basement.

“I know my best friend. His name is Alex.” I nodded. “But I don’t remember his phone number.”

“It’s okay. Do you remember your mom’s or your dad’s?” He was about to answer but his head fell down.

“My mom’s name is Michele. I don’t think I have a dad.” I sighed and placed my hand on his shoulder. “I don’t even remember her number either.”

“It’s okay. I’ll do my best to find them online or whatever.” He nodded without looking at me. I stood up and walked over to a plastic box a few feet away from me. I opened it and grabbed two quilts. I walked over to Austin and handed them to him. “You can stay here for the meanwhile.”

“Thanks.” I nodded. He took the quilts. “Where’s your sister?”

“She’s upstairs doing her homework.” He shrugged like it was nothing. “Uh, considering you’ll be staying here you can’t make any noise or leave the basement.”

“Alright I can do that.” I nodded. Now that I get a better look at him I notice how cute he was. I never used another term when it came to saying how good looking a boy was.

“I’ll go make dinner for my mom and my sister. I’ll bring you something later.” He was about to say something but kept quiet. “What’s wrong?”

“Do you have something entertaining? I get kind of bored here.” I chuckled and nodded. I walked over to another stack of boxes and opened the one on the top. I rummaged through the many books I had been keeping in that box for years. I picked out one that would get a boy’s interest and walked back to Austin.

“This one might be of your choice.” I handed him the book. Listen told the story a teenage boy who couldn’t speak so he talks through signs and gestures. He’s secretly crushing on the most popular girl but that changes once he get paired with Hayley, the school’s nerd. It was kind of cliche but I loved that book when I was fifteen.

“It looks interesting.” I smiled down at him before turning around to leave the basement. “Where are you going?”

“To make dinner.” I headed upstairs and locked the door.

I decided to make dinner so mom wouldn’t have to do it when she got home. She worked as a nurse so that left me and Alejandra alone for almost 20 hours a day. We only had time with mom when she had a late shift, a free day or in the mornings. I prepared lasagna. My mom loved Italian food so why not make for her? I spent about an hour in the kitchen. Alejandra joined me after she finished her homework and we sat down to eat dinner together. 

A/N: I know I'm a bit late but it's still Friday! Here's is chapter three of Lost. The tumblr for the fan fiction is still under construction so I won't post the link again until there's at least two more chapters. I hope you're enjoying this as much as I enjoy writting it. There's a gif on the side of Calli's face when she sees Austin.

Comment and vote! Tell your friends, family, whoever you want about this story!