Ch. 8

Ch. 8

It seemed like it'd been hours since Mr. Weasley had sent them to fetch water for cooking.

After running into Harry's friend Seamus and introducing him to Percy, which then required a brief explanation about Percy coming to Hogwarts in the coming year, they managed to get away only after promising to root for Ireland in the world cup final.

But after getting away from Seamus, another friend of Harry, Ron and Hermione passed them as they walked. This one, a tall, dark skinned guy named Dean, was equally as friendly as Seamus and maybe even more curious about Percy and his recent discovery by the wizarding world.

They managed to slip away from Dean a little quicker than they had Seamus but soon found themselves in yet another conversation, complete with introductions. This time, it was a girl named Lavender. She didn't ask as many questions as the boys had but did seem very intrigued by Percy.

Whether that was about his newly discovered magical abilities... Or something unrelated to magic or school altogether... Well, that remained to be seen.

Percy began to wonder if they were ever going to make it to the water tap. They met a handful more of Harry's classmates and he was introduced to more people than he could remember.

Thankfully, Harry and Hermione did most of the talking for him, especially when he was asked how he'd managed to go sixteen years without knowing he had magical abilities. He definitely owed both of them for that.

There was one person they ran into that Percy had no problems putting a face to though. While they were in line for the tap, they ended up behind a very cute asian girl. Though Percy found her quite attractive himself, it was Harry's reaction that made the brief conversation one he'd not be forgetting anytime soon.

Cho Chang had been her name. And the effect she'd had on Harry was the funniest thing he'd seen all day.

Percy wasn't sure what Harry's heart was pumping through his body in those few minutes because he was pretty sure his entire supply of blood went to his face as they awkwardly made small talk while Ron elbowed Percy and they both tried not to laugh at Harry's spluttering words. Even Hermione struggled to keep a straight face watching Harry's cringeworthy attempts at conversation.

Cho's turn at the water tap was a bit of a godsend for Harry as that was not the impression he must have been wanting to make. Once she filled her pitcher and said goodbye to all them, Percy and Ron finally allowed themselves to laugh. Harry turned to them, trying for a look of confusion, though he knew why they were laughing.

Percy patted him on the back and stepped up to get their water.

"Smooth, Harry. Really smooth, man." He said blatantly enjoying Harry's obvious suffering.

Harry didn't respond to his teasing, instead opting to glare at the ground under his feet.

Percy handed the water to Ron and threw his arm over Harry's shoulder as they started walking back to their tent.

"Dude, I'm just messing with you. It wasn't that bad."

Harry gave him a deadpan look in response, "It's not that easy. I mean, maybe it is for you but I don't have much experience talking to girls."

"Hey!" Hermione protested.

Harry rolled his eyes, "You don't count." He said then caught himself when Hermione's expression turned offended. "I mean, you're my best friend. I mean... I meant..."

Her lips quirked a little showing her amusement at his spluttering explanation.

"I know what you mean, Harry. It's fine."