Before

The wind...

That is all I can feel.

That was all I could feel as it coursed through my fiery hair.

Peeking out my eyes out the open car window, I spot my friend since birth, Sebastian, riding his cycle down the empty, Georgia Street.

I waved to him, but I guess he didn't notice because he failed to respond.

Well, you can't blame him. I thought to myself.

He does tend to blank out the outside world whilst cycling.

Tuning back inside the car, I notice my older brother, Zane, about to pull a prank on our father, Alec, while he's driving.

"Are you stupid," I whispered just loud enough for him to hear. Unbuckling my seatbelt, I scoot over to my left and snatch the damned feather out his hand, "are you trying to get us all killed?"

Before I could block and protect my face – slow reflexes – Zane's large, right palm slapped against my left cheek, leaving a stinging, red palm print on my face.

Balling my fists up, I begin to throw random jabs at Zane, only landing a few because he's blocking and throwing random punches right at me. Before I know it, a strong hand yanks me by the collar and practically throwing me into the window.

It was my mother's hand.

Her eyes ablaze with fury, irritation, and anger. "Stop this dumb mess right now, you two!" Her loud voice utterly startled me. I only ever knew the soft and gentle voice of an innocent and sweet lady, not the voice of this foulmouthed woman.

"Yes ma'am." Zane and I surprisingly say at the same time. I scowl at him, ready to pounce, as my mother turns around. He returns the gesture by flicking me off and grimacing. How in the world do my parents not see this? They must be blind or somethin'. I know they must see something in the mirror.

"Eliza," Hearing my father's deep and powerful voice instantly calms me, "Don't be too harsh on them, right now. We'll deal with them at your mother's place."

That two-timing – Ugh! 'Right now,'?! 'Right now,'?!! I'm so angry I can't even finish my angry thought.

I'm instantly filled with anger and decide to take all these emotions and channel them mentally. My mind and heart are clear of all negative feelings.

Looking up, I notice Zane holding the book that I had brought along with us while we travelled to my grandparents' house for a family reunion. I see him grab a specific page. What is he going to do? He ripped the page out of the book. Last straw.

Lunging at Zane – it was easy since I hadn't fastened my seatbelt, yet – I hit him as hard as I could in his ribcage and nose. My parents' hands grab on tightly to my clothes as they try to pry me off Zane. I am not letting go until I beat the living daylights out him.

Unbeknownst to me, the car suddenly began to jerk and swerve as my father tried hard to dodge incoming cars and traffic. Next thing I know, our silver car is headed straight for a large tree.

Getting off Zane, I took a short leap to the right side of the back seat – where I was sitting – but am stopped short by a strong hand gripping my ankle. Zane!

The car plunged directly into the trunk of the tree. My body, which was in the middle of the back, passenger seat, lunged forward head first into the glass of the window. Feeling the glass shatter and cut my face and body, I try to cover my face but am stopped short by my body flinging at the tree. I can feel my spine snap and break.

Blood leaks from my eyes and nose as my body lay paralyzed on the car's smoking hood.

My eyesight begins to cover in black splotches until finally I'm blinded. Everything is filled with darkness.

Endless darkness...

A pair of yellow and gold eyes fill the empty black void with light. They're looking at something. Staring. But who? Me?

A dark, malicious voice began to draw out, "Finally..." A hoarse and raspy cackle arose from the shadows of the darkness and crept into the eyes.

I hear someone yell my name, but see nothing as to where the sound originated from.

Suddenly, the eyes glow a bright yellow and consume the darkness. A menacing laugh draws out.

"You. Are. Mine..."