CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - Thirty-one Thousand Feet

Start from the beginning

"Have fun for me too, Timber," said Xianna.

"I will. Bye!"

"Bye."

"Timber, here's a suitcase for you," said Grace, coming into the room as Timber was putting the phone down. "Did you tell Xianna?"

"Yes, Ma'am," said Timber. She took the suitcase and set it on her bed. "I had asked her to come over this weekend so I had to tell her I wasn't going to be home."

"That's very responsible and considerate of you," said Grace. "Alright. I'm goin' to pack Emily's suitcase. Pack for a week. I don't think we'll be gone that long, but just to be safe."

"Aunt Grace? Can I bring Mom and Dad?" Timber pulled out her only photo of them from the top drawer of her dresser and showed her aunt. "Mom always wanted to go. It will be a nice birthday present for her."

Grace paused for a second, then she smiled. "Of course."

Timber hugged her tight and then started to go through her closet. Grace left her in peace. Timber pulled every warm-weather top she had and went through every one individually. In the end, she settled for the lightest colors she had which were mostly grays and light browns. She grabbed her three pairs of shorts. Then, she went through her room and made sure she had everything she needed.

The next morning at three-thirty, the family was in the car and headed to San Francisco International Airport with four neatly packed suitcases in the trunk. Timber and Emily slept in the back seat until they stopped in Ukiah to get breakfast from the Burger King drive-through. The remainder of the drive was highly enjoyable. Timber was in her wolf form and Emily was hand-feeding her bits of hash browns. Grace took a picture of them and laughed. The three-and-a-half-hour drive south was highly entertaining despite how early it was. Chad turned up the radio and started singing very badly and way off-key. Emily squawked along and the weird noise made Timber join in with a loud howl. Grace was left laughing so hard, her eyes watered.

When they got to the airport, the sun was resting on the horizon. Timber Turned and braced herself for the unknown. She pulled her suitcase behind her and followed her aunt and uncle. Emily insisted on holding Timber's hand. Timber had no objections. She relied on Emily to keep herself in her human form since her cousin was her biggest source of comfort. They went through their checkpoints and Timber freaked out a little when she was told she needed to be patted down to look for weapons. Chad went first to show Timber she was in no danger. She was still uneasy until Grace requested a female worker. Emily went through without a problem. Timber gave no problems either but she was still uneasy until she locked eyes with the worker who was patting her down.

"Timber Brogan?"

Grace and Chad turned around quickly. Seeing the reaction she got, she backed away a step.

"They're clear," she said to the other officer. "I'm off duty for lunch. Come with me, Timber."

Timber obeyed in confusion and the family followed closely. They were led to a small corner and the worker put herself out of sight. "Do you remember me?"

Timber tilted her head. The woman held out her hand for Timber to smell. She sniffed. She smelled like flowers. Realization filled her eyes.

"I kind of remember you," said Timber. "I remember the way you smell."

"Maybe this will help." Several small yellow flowers sprouted out of her hands and she handed them to Timber.

"Emmie!" cried Timber, happily, wrapping her arms around Emmie tightly.

"I missed you! My goodness, you've grown!"

"You know her?" asked Grace.

"I'm a tree elf," said Emmie. "I was friends with Timber in Haven."