2. A Touch of Evil

I think many of us, maybe the entire town had been hoping against hope that somehow Jason Blossom hadn't drowned on July 4th. That we'd come to school Monday morning and there Jason would be. Or that we'd see him and Cheryl in a booth at Pop's. But that was before the undeniable irrevocable fact of his bloated, water-logged body. A corpse with a bullet hole in its forehead. And terrible secrets that can only be revealed by the cold, steel blade of a coroner's autopsy scalpel, or the telltale beating of a guilty heart. 

Archie came into the kitchen while dad was making breakfast

Archie came into the kitchen while dad was making breakfast. "Morning dad, Y/n." "Morning bud." 

"Hey." I said. "Where'd you sneak off to last night?" Dad asked. "You uh, you heard that?" Archie asked. "Arch, he's been hearing the sneak outs since we were 8 years old, going to Jughead's tree house." I said. Dad looked over and winked at me. "Well, I couldn't sleep." He answered. "I went for a jog to tire myself out."
"Yeah? Got something on your mind?" Dad asked. "Just all the stuff with Jason." Archie answered. "Hm.. No more midnight runs until the police find whoever shot that poor kid. I swear to God, this town.."

A few moments later, there was a knock at the door. Archie opened it and Betty was at the door. "Walk me to school?" She asked, a smile on her face. We grabbed our stuff and walked out the door.

"I needed time to process. To separate what my mom wants, from what I want, I think I want." Betty said, as we walked down the road.

"Which is?" Archie asked. "My mom says I should never speak to you again." Betty answered, looking at my brother. "But I, even though you don't, like me, like that, I still want us to be friends. Best friends."

"You do?" Archie said. Aw. Cute. I'm glad they could sort whatever they needed out. "Yeah."

"I mean, that's great Betty me too."

"I'd be lying, if I said it didn't hurt." Betty continued. "And I'm sorry, Betty, I didn't do it to be a.. I don't know I just, I thought it would be better in the long run-" Archie said.

"And it will be. Oh, and don't tell my mom that we're friends again." Betty said, and walked off.

Archie and I were looking at Jason's locker. There were so many flowers and stuff at the bottom of it. "Hi." Archie and I spun around and Jughead was there. "Hey." I said, smiling. "Do you think I could use Jason Blossom's death as an excuse to get out of P.E? Sorry Coach, I'm just too depressed and freaked out right now to do pull ups." Jughead said. 

"Don't joke about Jason Blossom." Archie said defensively. "What? Sardonic humor is just my way of relating to the world." He answered. "Ugh, look, it's the rich kids from the Goonies. Alright. I'm out." I said, and followed Jughead. Reggie bumped into Jug. "Hey watch it Wednesday Adams." He said. "Shut up Reggie." I answered and went after Jughead.

_______________________________
Jughead and I found Archie in the hallway. He was washing his face in the water fountain. "Archie." Jughead spoke up, making us look at him. "Weirdest thing, this summer we were supposed to go on a road trip. Over the July 4th weekend. Which you bailed on, at the last minute. Is there something you wanna tell me pal?" Jughead knew something was up. I felt bad keeping it from him but it's not my place to tell him.