March 7, 2014

If you own a watch, you know the great service it provides.  With a turn of your wrist, you can find the time without looking at a clock, or the date without looking at a calendar.  If you are even luckier, you don’t even need to look at a clock face; a digital display will eliminate the math involved with clock hands.  Well, I have a watch, or at least I had one.  I was at dinner last night, and I went to check my watch, and that’s when I realized that it wasn’t on my wrist!  Believe me, there were a few seconds of panic!  I had never lost my watch before!  It was always on my wrist, except those few days where I would leave it on my sink and go out the door without it, but this was different!  When I got back to my dorm, I looked all around my room but I could not find my watch!  I even retraced my steps to look for it, but to no avail.

How many of us treat our spiritual lives like our watches?  Every day, we put them on, feel that they are there, and forget about them, but come back to them only when we need them.  It is only when we can’t find them that we begin to panic.  I encourage you, brothers and sisters, to not wait until later in life to realize that you need Jesus’ love and that He needs your devotion!  Do not put your spiritual life to use only when you need God’s help; a true relationship with Christ is always seeking His counsel!  How can you do this?  Pray!  Read your bible!  Discuss what you’ve learned with other Christians!  If we search God in the good times, how much easier will it be to follow Him in the rough ones?    

Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.    –Psalm 139:23-24