Chapter 12 | Why Are You Touching Each Other?

Start from the beginning

“Did you cheat on her again?” Aspen demands, cutting him off.

“No, I didn’t cheat on her again,” He assures her after an awkward silence.

“Are you lying? Because it sounds like you’re lying,” She says in response.

“I’m not lying,” Jason refutes and it’s kinda obvious that he’s not being fictitious.

“Then what other reason could you possibly have for breaking my best friend’s heart one week before Christmas?”

“I’m not discussing this with you, Aspen. It’s just none of your business, so just back off, okay? I gotta go,” He says.

“Jason Bradley, I swear to God, if you hang up this phone right now, the next time you’re in Andover, I will find you. I will find you and I will kick you so hard in your family jewels that your future grandsons will feel it,” She promises him. I don’t doubt that she’ll do it either because she can be scarily terrifying when she wants to.

“You’re so dramatic,” Jason scoffs, obviously not believing her.

“I’m so serious,” Aspen corrects. “You’re lucky to have a girlfriend like Piper, which is why I don’t understand why you continually fuck it all up,” She irritably snaps.

“Don’t try to turn it around on me,” Jason rebuts, his tone changing from bored and annoyed to irritated and aggravated in about five seconds flat. “That’s not fair.”

“Life’s not fair, Jason,” She deadpans. “And what’s that supposed to mean? I slept with you once and it was like, nine months ago—you cannot blame this on me!”

“What am I supposed to do, huh, Aspen? What is it that you want me to do? Just tell me because I’m not understanding the point of this redundant conversation.”

“You’re supposed to stop being dumb and you’re supposed to tell her that you love her and that you’re gonna make it okay and then you make it okay!” She yelps.

“Piper already knows that I love her,” He tells her, as if that should be obvious. “Seriously though, I have to go—it is Christmas and I have family to spend it with.”

“Okay, fine, spend Christmas with your family but if you don’t get to Andover by this time tomorrow, I’m going to drive down to Tewksbury, force you into the trunk of my car and make you talk to Piper,” She informs him matter-of-factly.

“You don’t scare me, Aspen,” Jason says.

“Well, I should, because I’m serious,” Aspen chimes.

“Bye Aspen,” He replies and then I hear the dial tone.

“Well, that was intense,” I note, walking into the bedroom then, making it known that I was eavesdropping.

“Finally, you’re awake—you sleep like a dead person,” Aspen tells me, putting her iPhone on the charger.

“I do not,” I scoff, shaking my head in disagreement at the ridiculous statement.

“You do—Brett and Beckett have been downstairs yelling at each other over some video game for a good hour and a half and you slept right through it,” She says. “Anyway, that was nothing. I was just trying to talk some sense into Jason’s unfathomably thick skull,” She explains then, sitting down on the already made up bed.

“You’re actually trying to get the two of them back together?” I ask, giving her an incredulous look as I lean against the wall. “But you hate Jason. Like, a whole lot.”