My Best Friend

The smoke that clawed it's way down my throat and choked the air from my lungs was lethal. I tried to scream as the mesmerizing flames lapped at my ankles, scorching their mark into my skin, but my scream was lost in the roaring fire.

Dallas was doubled over, coughing and sputtering. Her tears were streaming down her faces, almost as if she believe her tears could fight off the flames. She looked as if she had given up. But I couldn't let her down. She was my best friend. I was going to get her out, even if it killed me.

I slammed my body against the door. The flames were practically on top of us by now, choking us and burning our flesh. We had to get out, had to.

I screamed at the top of my lungs, banging my fist of the metal. I kicked and hit at the door till my foot was numb from the pain and my knuckles were bleeding. The fire was singeing my clothes and burning the hairs on my arms. We were dead, goners. Who could save us know?

Stopping my struggles to get free, I turned to look at Dallas. She was coughing hard, breathing heavily to get air back in her lungs. She tuned her head to look at me, tears staining her cheeks. Dallas opened her mouth to say something, but her eyes rolled back in her head. She collapsed to the ground, her head smacking against the ground.

I raced towards her, grabbing her arm. I tired pulling her onto my shoulder, but her dead weight was to much. She slipped from my grasp, falling to the ground and almost bringing me down with her. I grabbed her arm again, dragging her body across the floor towards the door.

Leaning against the door, I held my head in my hands. We are as good as dead. The voice in my head whispered.

The door suddenly tumbled open, letting the smoke kiss the early morning air. I crumpled to the ground with Dallas at my feet. I coughed roughly, so hard it felt like I was going to throw up. I looked from the ground, seeing someone standing over me. The figure had dark red hair and was small. The figure crouched closer to my face.

"T-Tabbie?" I choked out. He grabbed my hand, pulling on my fingers. He was yelling something at me, but I couldn't make it out. I tried to push myself to my feet, but my energy was to drained to even see straight.

Dallas was unconscious at my feet, a long gash on her collarbone was bleeding intensely.

The smoke was unbearable. The pain and smell of burning flesh was numbing my body. I tried to scramble to my feet but instantly fell back to my knees. My eyes were clouded with tears, my lungs burning. I had to get Dallas to safety. I just had to.

But another voice in my head was telling my to stop. I was so tired from fighting. Maybe I can rest for a second. Maybe . . .

I had to get Dallas to safety. I had to make sure my mother was okay. I had to see Spade again. I had too.

Everything will be better when I wake up. The voice in my head told me. Everything will be okay when I wake up. Everything will be okay.

The second I woke up again, I wished everything that had happen was just a dream.

I woke up in a warm, comfortable bed. Blankets pulled up to my chin and pillows supporting my head. My head burned with pain as I sat up, stirring up an unbearable headache. Rubbing my eyes, I looked around the room.

The walls of the room were painted a brilliant white color, various shelving and cabinets pushed against them. Other beds were scattered around the room, people in lab coats rushing around to different patients. The medical ward was always bustling, but never this much.