Chapter 13 - Shoes

Start from the beginning

Anyways, I sat up on the bed. There was a thin bedsheet covering me waist down. I have no idea why they even bother buying such thin sheets; I doubt it helps keep myself warm.

There were 6 beds in this room. Three on both sides.

The windows were closed.

I was really cold.

The room was painted plain white, nothing special about that.

There was an opening to my right, and I was sitting up in the middle bed to the left if you’re standing by the opening staring into the room.

I have no idea how long was I staring at the whole scene, but I was already nostalgic and homesick when I stopped pondering.

A nurse came into the scene. This was the same nurse that was calling the students yesterday, given that this day is also the day that I fought with Arsenal. I'm not really sure how much time has passed after I fainted. She stood by the entrance, there was no door, just an open rectangular pathway to enter the room; I have no idea what they call it, technically, it’s a door, right?

“Mr. Deatharte. You have visitors.” said the nurse.

Three people entered the room.

Two boys and a girl.

Vincent.

Aoi.

And Dr. Craule,

and this guy had a stern look on his face.

“So, how are you doing?” asked the nurse, as she got near my bed, writing things at her clipboard.

“I’m fine, kind of. I still have this headache. I think I might have migraine.” I said, massaging my temples.

“Isn’t it too bright in here? Is the light irritating?” she asked.

“No.” I said, with a firm conviction.

“I’ll get some more painkillers. It might be a simple headache.” she said, as she finished checking things at her clipboard and looked at me.

“Wait, Enprix. Disengage your Levels.” said Dr. Craule.

“I don’t have any levels. What’s there to disengage?” I questioned, and felt a little offended there.

“Just do it.” he demanded.

“Okay… All Levels, Disengage.”

Suddenly, my headache ceased.

Without a doubt, I was shocked.

Seriously, I WAS ON FREAKING LEVEL 1!

“I’m feeling fine now. The headache has subsided.” I murmured, amazed in general.

Aoi and Vincent were both confused. They couldn’t catch up with what’s happening.

“Enprix, come to my office after Ms. Kazuhira finishes her routine checkups with you.” said the director as he goes out of the room. “Vincent and Aoi, come with him.” Then he signals to nurse to talk to him first.

The nurse returns after a few more minutes then asks some more questions, and finishes up and tells me that I could leave anytime I wanted.

“Hey, Enprix. What's happening?” said Vincent, still startled at what just happened.

“Well, it just so happens that I’m not a level 0. And what just happened back there proves it.”

He was still looking at me, perplexed.

“So, you are not a Level 0 after all? How about the assessment? It says that you’re a Level 0.” said Aoi, her voice was cute.

“Yeah. Despite that, I’m not.” I murmured.

I got up from the bed. My uniform was wrinkled to the point of distortion.

“You both know that I passed out while fighting, right?” I asked, still embarrassed by that fact.

“Yeah, why?” said Vincent.

“What happened? I don’t remember anything after I fell on my knees. I was already suffering from that extreme headache.”

“Well, Dr. Craule stepped in.” said Aoi.

My eyes were fixed on her. One of my eyebrows rose in question.

“He kind of appeared out of nowhere and stopped Arsenal in mid-air. As the spear was getting near you, the director grabbed it with his bare hands.” Vincent stated. I was shocked.

“Arsenal tried to fight him. But I guess the director is too powerful for him. Arsenal used the other spear to attack. But he was blown away literally, without the director trying to touch him.”

Okay, I want to see that.

Someday, Dr. Craule versus Arsenal. Just to see how powerful the director is.

We went on our way to his office.

It was in the clinic, only a different room.

I knocked on his door and it creaked open.

We entered.

The same lifeless place that I was into. I remember the hatch under the carpet, but it was hidden from sight right now, and I don’t know if I had permission to tell Aoi and Vincent.

“Welcome. Have a seat.” said Dr. Craule.

“Please wait for our other visitor.” the director typed some more into his laptop.

The room was quiet. It was awkward. We could only hear the sound of the keyboard, clacking to Dr. Craule’s fingers.

Several minutes later, the door opened.

It was Arsenal.