Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

                Gabriel took up his place on the couch while Sophia made phone call after phone call. He didn’t try to listen to what she was saying, but she spoke so loud that the lion really couldn’t help it. Whatever was happening, Gabriel didn’t think it sounded good.

                Her first call was to a different pack and that was the one that Gabriel found most concerning. It started out normal enough, but as they discussed their course of action, Gabriel knew that Sophia was talking about him. She admitted to knowing who the lions were looking for, but instead of telling the truth, Sophia said that he was being held as a prisoner. At least, Gabriel thought she was lying about that.

                He gave more thought to the idea of leaving, sure it would be the best way to avoid any trouble. Sophia hadn’t liked the idea earlier, and Gabriel wondered just how opposed to that idea she was. Would she actually keep him there against his will?

                When she hung up the phone, Gabriel opened his mouth to speak, but only managed to make a strange sound. Sophia looked his direction and Gabriel immediately shut his mouth and looked down. Shortly after, Sophia started talking to someone else on the phone. Gabriel once again tried to say something after her phone call, but once again, he failed and Sophia was soon making another call.

                Finally, after nearly an hour, Sophia turned her full attention on the lion. Gabriel, who had been watching her, looked away quickly. “Whatever you want to say,” she said, “just say it.”

                “I, uh… I think I should leave,” he said, looking at his feet.

                “Don’t be an idiot,” Sophia said, picking up her phone once more. “If you have something to say that’s not stupid, then say it. Otherwise, shut up.”

                Gabriel fell silent. He only wanted to help, but he didn’t think he could get Sophia to listen, especially after the way she had shot him down. But it was the only thing he could do, so he knew he had to try.

                “It’ll be better for everyone if I go,” he said. “If my father is looking for me, I don’t want to draw his attention to you. And you won’t have to lie to your pack or anyone else about me being here.”

                “I appreciate that you’re trying to help me out, Simba, but you can’t just leave. Where would you live? How’d you support yourself?” She opened her mouth to ask yet another question – who would protect him? But she didn’t say it out loud. “You manage to find a job and all that, then sure. Go. But I can’t just let you wander off on your own with nothing.”

                “Why not?”

                “Because it’s not safe,” she said. “I’m too busy to have you questioning me now.” She returned her attention to her work, picking up her phone and making another phone call. While she was talking to the beta of another pack, she saw Gabriel stand up and walk towards the door.

                Still on the phone, she grabbed Gabriel’s arm, halting his movement and then started to push him towards the couch. He didn’t offer much resistance, falling backwards onto the couch when the back of his legs encountered it. To his surprise, Sophia sat down on the couch next to him, then swung her legs over his lap.

                Gabriel tried to stand up, hoping that Sophia would be too involved in the phone call to really pay attention to him, but as soon as he tried moving, she pressed her legs down, holding him down. While he could have put some effort into it, he didn’t want to accidentally hurt her, so he sat down and waited while she finished her phone call.