Chapter Eleven: Bullet Wound

"Sam, I swear to God if you hurt her-"
"You should come home, Alex. Soon. And if you show up with any of your buddies...well that just wouldn't be good for Norma." he says. In the background, Norma can be heard crying softly.
"Don't hurt her. Please." Alex whispers, feeling helpless.
"I'll see you soon, Alex. And if you aren't here within ten minutes, then don't bother coming at all." he says. Before Alex can reply, Sam hangs up the phone. Alex sprints to his car, speeding the entire way to the motel. He runs faster than he ever has before, up the steps to her porch. He busts into the house, looking for them.
"Norma!" he shouts, looking in the living room. When he turns around, Sam is standing in the entry way, smiling at him with a hand gun in his hand.
"You made it. And with three minutes to spare."
"Where the hell is she?" Alex asks, not sounding as strong as he wanted to.
"Oh you want to see her? You sure? She doesn't look so good." Sam says. Alex glares at him and if looks could kill, Sam would've dropped dead a thousand times.
"Right this way." Sam says, leading him into the dining room. Alex gasps when he sees her. He can hear her sobs through the blood stained pillow case on her head.
"Do you..you wanna see?" Sam asks, sounding excited. All Alex can manage to do is nod. Sam grabs the pillow case and pulls it away, revealing a large gash along the side of Norma's face. The blood has traveled from her face, down her neck, and stained her light blue dress.
"Norma, Im so sorry." Alex whispers.
"Take a seat Alex." Sam says, pointing the gun at him. Alex slowly walks around the table and sits next to Norma. He reaches under the table, giving her knee a comforting squeeze.
"Are you thirsty?" Sam asks, grabbing a glass and setting it in front of Alex. He grabs a pitcher and pours a milky liquid into the glass. As soon as the smell hits Alex's nose, he can tell what the liquid is.
"You drink it, I'll let Norma go."
"I'm not drinking the bleach." Alex says. Sam chuckles, his hand reaching out to stroke Norma's hair.
"You know, you two really are good together." Sam says. "Norma never really did do it for me. Couldn't get it up very easily. Probably because I knew how much of a whore she is. I knew how disgusting she really is. I think I was afraid to touch her because I didn't want to get any diseases from her whore hole-"
"She's not a whore." Alex says angrily.
"No she is. And she wasn't a good wife either. She really knew how to push my buttons." Sam says, pushing his thumb into the gash on Norma's face, making her cry out in pain.
"Alright! Alright!" Alex says, making Sam pull his hand away. Alex grabs the glass, slowly putting it toward his mouth.
"Alex, don't-"
"Shut up!" Sam shouts, slapping her.
"Please, Sam. I'm sorry. I love you. I love you so much." Norma says, standing up and kissing his neck. The sight makes Alex squirm in his seat with jealousy.
"Let's go home. Alright?" she asks, kissing his lips. "Let's go."
She tries to lead him to the door but he pushes her to the ground, making her shriek with shock. He grabs her by the hair and yanks her back to her chair.
"Stay there or I will slit his throat right in front of you." he whispers angrily.
"Sam please just let him go. You have me. You don't need Alex.
"How do I know you won't kill her after I drink this?" Alex asks. Sam chuckles and crosses his chest.
"I promise." he says.
"That's not good enough." Alex says. "Let her go now."
"Let her go n-How about I kill her now or you drink it and I kill her later?" Sam asks, holding the gun up to Norma's head.
"Alright! Oka-"
The sound of a doorbell fills the tense air, making everyone stare at the door. Sam points the gun at Alex.
"Answer the door and get rid of whoever is there." Sam says.
Alex walks to the door, opening it, revealing Dylan. Dylan steps forward to go inside but pauses when Alex doesn't move.
"What're you doing?" Dylan asks.
"Thank you for the mail." Alex says, pleading with Dylan with his eyes.
"Is..is someone here?" Dylan whispers.
"Yes, we did enjoy the paper last week." Alex says.
"Are they armed?" he whispers. Alex glances back at Sam who is holding the gun to Norma's head. He makes a motion, telling Alex to hurry up.
"You have a nice day too, sir." Alex says. "Call the police." he mouths before closing the door.
"Sit down." Sam says. Alex walks back to the table and sits down. Sam leans across the table, pushing the glass closer to Alex.
"Better hurry. She's losing a lot of blood." Sam says. Alex glances at Norma whose bright blue eyes stare at him with fear. Alex grabs the glass, putting it back up to his lips.
Right as the liquid is about to enter his mouth, he turns the glass away from him, splattering the liquid all over Sam.
"Ahh! I can't see!" Sam shouts, trying to wipe the bleach from his eyes. Alex grabs Norma, pulling her from the table and into the living room. They squat down behind the couch, both of them breathing heavily.
"I know you're in here!" Sam shouts, walking into the living room with the gun raised in the air. His vision is almost completely black because of the bleach in his eyes, making it hard for him to see. He fires a shot in a random direction, hitting the piano. Norma puts her hand over her mouth to keep a cry from coming out. Alex holds her by her waist tightly, wishing this all to be over.
Another shot is fired, hitting the couch beside them, making Norma jump again and squeeze her eyes shut. Alex places a kiss on her forehead, wanting nothing more than for her to not be scared. He had to do something before he fired a shot at Norma. Without hesitation, Alex jumps over the couch and sprints at Sam. Sam's gun moves toward Alex and pulls the trigger. Alex tackles him to the ground, punching him in the face. Sam rolls them over, taking the upper hand. He punches Alex in the face four times before a gun shot fills the air and Sam sits up stiff. Alex watches through blood filled eyes as he falls to the ground, bleeding out onto Norma's rug.
Alex looks over at Norma who is still holding the gun in the air. Her hands shake as she stares at Sam with shock. Alex crawls over to Norma, taking the gun from her hands and setting it on the ground. He takes her into his arms as she finally allows her sobs out.
"It's alright. We're okay. You did so good, baby. You were so brave." he whispers into her hair.
"Alex." she whispers, pulling away. She looks down at the blood on the chest part of her dress.
"Did you get shot?" Alex asks with worry, looking for the bullet wound.
"No." she whispers, looking at his chest.
"You did."